Sand Flee

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Ditto paulmcohen's guess/comment.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

If I have this right as things stack up here:

Name, offered @ price, list price, purchase point

reible, 549.99, 649.99, 249.00
bkhop, , 599.99, 300.00
dusty, ,439.50, 295.50
fixit, 499.95, , 359.95
scottss, , 559.00, 299.00-359.00
paulmcohen, , 599.99, 350.99
ed in tampa, , 550.00, ,
charlese, , 599.00, ,

If you see I have something wrong or want to add data let me know. I will be gone when the big anouncement happens so feel free to claim the rights if you got it right or if you had the closest answer.

Ed

PS
ed in tampa, loved your comment "Frankly I think if the guy built and sold these for a realistic price of $250 or less he would be rolling in green. But at $700 the thing would have to cut, build and finish a cabinet before I would considered it." I guess once again Ed's think alike.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
mckenziedt
Gold Member

Post by mckenziedt »

There is a small company in Canada that makes a drum sander kit in different sizes between 12' to 30'. Prices are $195.00 to $325.00, shipping included. They supply the hardware, a link belt, building plans, and the table top. You supply the mounting box, motor and dust collection(although the mounting box will catch most of the dust if you built a bottom into it). You can also buy the hardware parts individually if you want to make you own table top or supply your own bearings, pulleys, belt etc. I think it would be fairly easy to adapt the mounting box and drive system to a Shopsmith (mount what would be the motor's drive pulley on a shopsmith arbor). I have the 18' model and a Shopsmith, but I run the sander on its own. It works very well for light and finishing sanding and with coarser grits can be made quite aggressive. See their web site [URL=http://www.stockroomsupply.com] for FAQ. They also sell on ebay and do a lot of wood shows in the US and Canada. I have found them to be quite reputable, reasonabley priced and have high quality sand papers and accessories. DTM
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The new catalog is out and the sand flee is in it. You can see it online at:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... d-flee.htm

Now let's see who had the right answer.... mmmm who was that now.....

Ed
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

reible wrote:The new catalog is out and the sand flee is in it. You can see it online at:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... d-flee.htm

Now let's see who had the right answer.... mmmm who was that now.....

Ed
Ed you won!!! But I was only off by a penny. I wonder how many will be sold at this price? I know my name won't be on the first to order list.
Ed
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Looks like reible nailed the list price, I just got an email that says as a Best Customer I get a 25% discount from the Holiday Catalog if we order by Sunday. Now the question is does this count? I will have to call tomorrow because the links don't show a discount. $411 is close to what I was willing to pay.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

BRAG BRAG BRAG... OK I'm done.

Yea not going to be on my shopping list anytime soon... like forever. I just can't justify the cost over what I would get. The design is so simple I might just have to make my own large sized one or get the kit from Canada.

Anyway it is really great they are having this sale now, at least some of you will get to take advantage of it....... my funds are gone for the year and then some. I'm going to be so green with envy at all of you who can take advantage of it!

Ed
greitz
Gold Member

Sand Flee not on sale

Post by greitz »

I just talked with Customer Service. The Sand Flee, as a brand-new product, does NOT qualify for the sale price.

Gary
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

greitz wrote:I just talked with Customer Service. The Sand Flee, as a brand-new product, does NOT qualify for the sale price.

Gary
I guess I will be waiting:(
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Sand On Back Burner

Post by flashbacpt »

I like the setup, quick and easy, and can see/understand it's positive abilities.
But.....................at that price, I can only afford /justify it's purchase if I purchased it with my pocket change, and my plastic bottle/alumimun can recycle money.:(
I really don't want to take up "Dumpster Diving"!

John
flashbacpt