Jig saw files

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bvrsbro
Gold Member

Jig saw files

Post by bvrsbro »

Hi all!
Picked up a SS jig saw and am trying to find some files to use with it. Any help would be great! Thanks
1985 Mark V, "2" Greenies, ShopSmith Bandsaw, jointer, belt sander. 14" Laguna bandsaw, craftsman 12" bandsaw, 12" DeWalt chopsaw,Delta 6" jointer, 12" Delta plainer, 16"-32" Performax sander, Shopsmith Jig Saw,
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Some discussion about files in this posting:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... =jig+files

hope this helps
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

bill mayo might have some-search on the forum for him
bvrsbro
Gold Member

Post by bvrsbro »

bvrsbro wrote:Hi all!
Picked up a SS jig saw and am trying to find some files to use with it. Any help would be great! Thanks
Thanks for the replies. I've done a search on line and found some files 3 1/4" with 1/8 & 1/4 shanks @http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments ... /2215.html. I've placed an order an will report back on how well they work.
Can I find the 10w non detergent oil at napa or else where?
1985 Mark V, "2" Greenies, ShopSmith Bandsaw, jointer, belt sander. 14" Laguna bandsaw, craftsman 12" bandsaw, 12" DeWalt chopsaw,Delta 6" jointer, 12" Delta plainer, 16"-32" Performax sander, Shopsmith Jig Saw,
bvrsbro
Gold Member

Post by bvrsbro »

bvrsbro wrote:Thanks for the replies. I've done a search on line and found some files 3 1/4" with 1/8 & 1/4 shanks @http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments ... /2215.html. I've placed an order an will report back on how well they work.
Those files were $4.00 each
billmayo
Platinum Member

Jig Saw Oil

Post by billmayo »

bvrsbro wrote:Thanks for the replies. I've done a search on line and found some files 3 1/4" with 1/8 & 1/4 shanks @http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments ... /2215.html. I've placed an order an will report back on how well they work.
You can use air compressor oil (available at hardware and big box stores) in the jig saw. I would believe the NAPA stores should carry air compressor oil.

I find using the jig saw body and table, no arm or upper body, with a metal file is a very handy tool. It can be quickly mounted and unmounted as needed.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
popjack
Bronze Member

Post by popjack »

I had also been looking for 10 weight oil for my jigsaw crank case. I found Singer Sewing Machine Oil ( it is 10 weight ) in any fabric store like Jo Ann Fabrics for about $3.50 a bottle which is about 4 ounces. Also in some Wall Mart stores, there may be some available in the arts and crafts department.
berry
Platinum Member

Stealing a Thread

Post by berry »

For byrsbro.

I apologize to one and all for taking this thread in a direction not intended by it's author. However, being curious I'll just go ahead and do it. I found your avatar (isn't that the word to describe the picture in the corner of a post?) really interesting. Delicate, creative, beautiful and organic.

Please post some pictures and describe the techniques your using.

I'm going fishing for a week (Lake of the Woods, MN) so I'll be off the grid as they say. Thanks.
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
bvrsbro
Gold Member

Post by bvrsbro »

I recieved the jig saw files from--
http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments ... /2215.html. and they seem to fit ok but i havent tried them out on any metal as of yet. Shanks are 1/8" and 1/4".
As to the interest in the lamps: it is in collaboration with my daughter who free forms copper wire for the frame of the shade then covers them with her hand made paper. The wood is mostly "found wood" which she collects on field trips. I'll try and see if I can upload some more pictures, I'm not savy in that regard.
This is a great forum, lots of help, thanks again.
Attachments
042.JPG
042.JPG (33.64 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
008.JPG
008.JPG (22.79 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

popjack wrote:I had also been looking for 10 weight oil for my jigsaw crank case. I found Singer Sewing Machine Oil ( it is 10 weight ) in any fabric store like Jo Ann Fabrics for about $3.50 a bottle which is about 4 ounces. Also in some Wall Mart stores, there may be some available in the arts and crafts department.
Thanks for that info.

FYI- I use air compressor oil.