Router Lathe

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

truxton
Gold Member

Router Lathe

Post by truxton »

Has anyone here had any expierence or an opinion with a router-lathe jig set up on a shopsmith? Sears had a router crafter a number of years ago and the legacy woodworking company now sells a router lathe machine. I am in the thinking stage of jig design where the shopsmith set up in lathe mode could be used with a router to cut spirals, tapers, flutes and round stock. The headstock would be turned by a chain and sprocket and attached to a very slow RPM DC motor. The router would be mounted to a 90 degree angle fixture attached to the table assembly with additional bearings rideing on the way tubes. The router fixture would be advanced with a length of threaded stock at very slow RPMs. Any thoughts?
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Sounds like a plan. You might want to take a look at Bill Hylton's book, "Router Magic." His router lathe use bicycle chain and sprockets to synchronize the rotation of the lathe function with the lateral movement of the router.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
jgrounds
Gold Member

Post by jgrounds »

Check this link to an earlier post on the SS Forum.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpos ... ostcount=1

I have all the materials to transfer this to the Shopsmith just have not done it yet.

John
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi John! I remember your post from when I joined the Forum. Caught it when reviewing the previous posts from when I joined. Thanks for re-posting.

This thing is very interesting. However at the time it was far beyond my comprehension. Have to admit it still is:( ! Maybe some day I'll try this. It looks like there are many possibilities with it.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
jmoore65
Gold Member

Post by jmoore65 »

Just curious if you've made progress with the Shopsmith version of the Hylton router lathe.
Jim
510 upgraded to 520, bandsaw, Homecraft jointer, universal lathe rest, Craftsman tablesaw w/Delta fence, standalone belt/disc sander, power miter saw, a bunch of smaller stuff
jgrounds
Gold Member

Post by jgrounds »

No progress but still on my list of things to do.

John