Purchase used shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Which one would you buy

2004 Mach V 505 $800
81%
2004 Mach V 505 $800
19%

Total votes: 32

dblakel
Bronze Member

Purchase used shopsmith

Post by dblakel »

I'm going between two used shopsmiths for sale locally. The first one is a 1987 Mach V 510 in good shape with band saw (cast iron table), jointer, and all accessories including manual, etc for $675. The other one is the 50th anniversary mach V model 505. I assume from around 2004 or so as the seller hasn't given me the serial number yet. This one also includes a band saw only (aluminium table). he appears to have all of the accessories. This one sells for $800. both prices are firm. My question is generally what kind of shape should I expect a 1987 Shopsmith to be in. The seller says it runs well. Should I just get the newer one based on its age alone? How important are the upgrades from the 505 to the 510 such as the floating extension tables.

This website explains the major differences between the 505 and 510 are just the floating extension tables. That upgrade alone costs a few hundred dollars new.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dblakel wrote:I'm going between two used shopsmiths for sale locally. The first one is a 1987 Mach V 510 in good shape with band saw (cast iron table), jointer, and all accessories including manual, etc for $675. The other one is the 50th anniversary mach V model 505. I assume from around 2004 or so as the seller hasn't given me the serial number yet. This one also includes a band saw only (aluminium table). he appears to have all of the accessories. This one sells for $800. both prices are firm. My question is generally what kind of shape should I expect a 1987 Shopsmith to be in. The seller says it runs well. Should I just get the newer one based on its age alone? How important are the upgrades from the 505 to the 510 such as the floating extension tables.

This website explains the major differences between the 505 and 510 are just the floating extension tables. That upgrade alone costs a few hundred dollars new.
It is very difficult for me to make a recommendation. The condition that the machines are in is too important. The age itself is almost a null factor; Shopsmiths that are well cared for show very little sign of age.

For me, the accessories probably carry more weight. I would normally lean toward the bandsaw with the aluminum table while not wanting to walk away without the jointer. The number/condition of extension and floating tables would also be a factor. At least one extension table and two floating tables are almost a necessity for me.

The difference in prices ($125) does not make the decision.

I guess I have been NO HELP AT ALL. Either one by itself could be a good deal. It does depend on condition. I'm a NO VOTE. SORRY
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Look a little closer on the serial numbers and the dates. MY 50th anniversary SS is a 520. The difference to me is a lot from the 500 to the 510 on table and fence. Then the difference between the 510 and the 520 is mainly fence. I like both the 510 and 520. I used my 500 for drill press and lathe and it worked fine. But for small detail sawing it wasn't up to par. As most feel the table saw is the weakest part. But I do not do a lot of large projects and the table saw with the SawTrain attachment and router table on my 520 are great. I use my 510 for the bandsaw and sanding mainly.
Good luck
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Damn this is a tough one to choose between. But I think the 510 w/bandsaw and jointer wood win.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

Condition of the machines of course is critical so I would want to see and run both machines. If I had to go on my gut based on capability being offered I would go for the 510 with the jointer and bandsaw. One of the things that I find fun when buying used Shopsmiths is finding out what's in the box. The box contains all the other accessories and additional items that the owner has purchased. These include mortising attachments, table inserts, tenoning jigs, biscuit joiners, arbors, maxi clamps, Incra jigs, etc. etc. etc. My gut says that the 1987 machine has more in the "box".:D Check them both out and don't forget the manuals.

Let us know what you find out after you look at them.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I agree with Rob on this one! They are close to equal, and what's in the box is probably the deal clincher. If anything I lean towards the 510 with jointer in spite of the bandsaw being cast iron table. The condition of the way tubes can alter the balance. I would not be concerned re headstock condition as long as the motor is good(and it ain't cracked).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

I also would buy the one with the jointer... Once you have one you will wonder how you ever got along without it. I have never used the aluminum table on a SS bandsaw, but I am very pleased with my cast iron table.
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
ss50th
Gold Member

Post by ss50th »

Additionally, whenever I invest in a mechanical device I always check out two additional things:
1. The environment where the object is kept - exceptionally clean eat off the garage floor type and organized indicates care, and
2. If it's an item I am not already somewhat familliar with I prefer to have documentation and owners manuals for reference. The manuals for SS are a great start and then any additional info needed is available through the expertise in this forum.
Mixed feelings is watching your mother in law driving off a cliff in your new Rolls Royce. :) :(

Richard
truxton
Gold Member

the 510 is the best deal

Post by truxton »

The shopsmith jointer, IMHO makes the deal. As I have said here before and as all true wood workers know, all woodworking starts on the jointer. With the bandsaws ability to re-saw stock and the jointer to true the stock add the shopsmith and you have one very good set up. All you need to add is a planer and you will be good to go.
Truxton
Michigan
Shopsmith MKVII, Power station, bandsaw, beltsander, Jointer, scroll saw, DC3300, Delta Unisaw, Mini-Max FS31 12" jointer/planer, Ridgid 12" miter saw, Porter Cable random orbit sander and bisquit jointer, Rockwell and Ryobi routers, Leigh dove tail jig, Husqvarna 257 chain saw, Paslode finish nailer
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

I would try to talk them down on price and just buy both!;) :D :)

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.