Obsolete Shopsmith Part Numbers

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

[quote="dusty"]Ed in Tampa]

Dusty
Your right that is a scroll saw. I thought perhaps you had the old jigsaw which looked very similar but after seeing the picture that is a scroll saw.
I was not aware Shopsmith had made two different scroll saws.
Thanks for straightening me out.
Ed
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

I just placed an order for new Mark V belts. It was a little confusing ordering them because the part number on the belt and owners manual was different from the part numbers on-line. A quick e-mail cleared things up quick.
My Mark V was purchased in 1989.
billm64052
Bronze Member

SS Scroll Saw #555272

Post by billm64052 »

I have recently inherited this Scroll Saw from my Dad who passed away and he got it from my Grandfather when he had passed. I have searched through his shop and can not find any documentation on this particular piece of shop equipment. How can I find an Owners Manual for such an old piece? My internet searches have come up pretty empty.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I have ordered MkV belts in the past and when providing numbers I was corrected that the number had changed. The reason was that SS had changed vendors. Some companies will change numbers so as to keep track of vendors and to maintain some semblance of quality control for warranty purposes.
Bill V
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

billm64052 wrote:I have recently inherited this Scroll Saw from my Dad who passed away and he got it from my Grandfather when he had passed. I have searched through his shop and can not find any documentation on this particular piece of shop equipment. How can I find an Owners Manual for such an old piece? My internet searches have come up pretty empty.
The following link should be of help to you:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/jigsaw.htm
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

555272 is a stand alone Scroll saw, not a jig saw. I do not think there are significant differences other than some table and blade mounting and color changes. The blade mounting is available as an upgrade. A current manual should be adequate except for those areas. If you have ? regarding those areas not covered in a newer manual, we are here!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

admin wrote:I have been the webmaster here for a couple years now and when a part becomes obsolete I am simply instructed to remove it from the site, as it is removed from the catalog.
A tip you may want to pass along to whomever is saying remove the part from the site.

A part can become obsolete, in the parts sales sense, when it is no longer available or it has been replaced with a newer desgin.

Standard practice is to leave the NLA parts on the site, turn off the ability to purchase, and mark as NLA. For superceded parts, you also want to leave those parts on the website, turn off the ability to purchase, and mark as "Superceded by part #1234567" with a link to the new part.

This resolves the problems noted in this thread. Customers searching for an old part number know to either order the new one or confirm they need to go the used route.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

frank81 wrote:A tip you may want to pass along to whomever is saying remove the part from the site.

A part can become obsolete, in the parts sales sense, when it is no longer available or it has been replaced with a newer desgin.

Standard practice is to leave the NLA parts on the site, turn off the ability to purchase, and mark as NLA. For superceded parts, you also want to leave those parts on the website, turn off the ability to purchase, and mark as "Superceded by part #1234567" with a link to the new part.

This resolves the problems noted in this thread. Customers searching for an old part number know to either order the new one or confirm they need to go the used route.

Well said!

FWIW, Admin does not need the 'extra work to implement this but that is a good objective(now about all the already 'NLA' parts . . . :eek:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

JPG40504 wrote:Well said!

FWIW, Admin does not need the 'extra work to implement this but that is a good objective(now about all the already 'NLA' parts . . . :eek:)
Almost like I do this for a living....though I will say its easier said than done.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

frank81 wrote:Almost like I do this for a living....though I will say its easier said than done.
True of pretty much everything!;)

Dinosaur oil! Sinclair still around?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝