spSeed dial difficulties

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rdewinter
Gold Member

spSeed dial difficulties

Post by rdewinter »

I recently bought a SS 500 that appears to be in good shape. The headstock sounds good and it cuts wood rather easy. The speed dial is very difficult to turn. I'm sure this subject has been discussed before. Can someone provide me the links to the previous threads about this subject? Is this problem most likely solved by proper lubrication or is there parts to replace?
Bob
San Diego
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rdewinter wrote:I recently bought a SS 500 that appears to be in good shape. The headstock sounds good and it cuts wood rather easy. The speed dial is very difficult to turn. I'm sure this subject has been discussed before. Can someone provide me the links to the previous threads about this subject? Is this problem most likely solved by proper lubrication or is there parts to replace?
There are numerous threads about speed control related issues. They can be located by using the search function in the forum.

This is the most complete that I know of. No not fear this process. Once you get in there, you'll discover that it is not at all difficult.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TURN THE SPEED CONTROL DIAL UNLESS THE MAIN SPINDLE IS TURNING!! Either turn it by hand or turn the motor on to change the speed setting. Doing otherwise can damage the speed control mechanism.
Bill V