I've got a screw loose...

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

michaeltoc
Gold Member

I've got a screw loose...

Post by michaeltoc »

I recently installed the PowerPro kit, but today I heard a screw rattling around the bottom of the motor pan. I removed the pan and found a set screw. Upon closer examination, it seems to be an M5x0.8 screw, 10 mm long. The parts breakdown do not list this screw.

The headstock seems to be running fine, and I (cautiously) put it through the speed range with no unusual noise or rattling.

Any ideas???
Michael

Mark V Model 500 (1985) upgraded to 520 (2009) and PowerPro (2011); Bandsaw, Jointer, Jigsaw, Planer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

michaeltoc wrote:I recently installed the PowerPro kit, but today I heard a screw rattling around the bottom of the motor pan. I removed the pan and found a set screw. Upon closer examination, it seems to be an M5x0.8 screw, 10 mm long. The parts breakdown do not list this screw.

The headstock seems to be running fine, and I (cautiously) put it through the speed range with no unusual noise or rattling.

Any ideas???
I find loose, unidentified hardware in my shop quite frequently and it bugs the daylights out of me. I just put it in a container with all the rest that I find that way.

But to find it in the motor pan:eek:. Not good news. I would call Shopsmith just to put them on notice.

Am I to understand that you received a "complete parts list" with the PowerPro delivery?

Do the parts cross reference in the online catalog? More directly, the question is can you purchase a PowerPro in bits and pieces?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
michaeltoc
Gold Member

Post by michaeltoc »

I will definitely call shopsmith, but they are not open until Monday (perhaps Tuesday?), so I just wanted to throw this out to the board to see if anyone had a similar experience.

The PowerPro manual came with a parts breakdown just like the original Mark V manual complete with catalog numbers etc., so I guess you could purchase a PowerPro piece by piece!
Michael

Mark V Model 500 (1985) upgraded to 520 (2009) and PowerPro (2011); Bandsaw, Jointer, Jigsaw, Planer.
michaeltoc
Gold Member

Post by michaeltoc »

FOUND IT!!!

I was looking at the parts list again and noticed #110 - Motor Pulley Set Screw (no size specified). Since all the other motor screws are metric I pulled the belt cover and sure enough the set screw was missing. Fortunately, the motor pulley is also held on by a shaft key and retaining ring, so that is why it didn't fly off.

So I would advise everyone to check this set screw, and perhaps re-set it with some locktite. (you need a 2.5mm hex key).
Michael

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Perhaps I'll send the kid to ACE for some M5x0.8 Loc Tite:D
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gene Howe wrote:Perhaps I'll send the kid to ACE for some M5x0.8 Loc Tite:D

If it ain't blue when he gets returns, send him back!.......The loctite!

OH! Don't forget it is for a 2.5mm hex socket 'head'('end?') Don't want to cause a third trip!:D

He driving, riding his bicycle, or shank's ponies?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
michaeltoc
Gold Member

Post by michaeltoc »

Gene Howe wrote:Perhaps I'll send the kid to ACE for some M5x0.8 Loc Tite:D
My tube of blue loctite says it is 0.2 fl. oz./ 6 ml - so if the volume is listed in ml, it should be OK for metric screws. :rolleyes:
Michael

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

michaeltoc wrote:My tube of blue loctite says it is 0.2 fl. oz./ 6 ml - so if the volume is listed in ml, it should be OK for metric screws. :rolleyes:
That would be his excuse, too. :rolleyes:
When he couldn't find the board stretcher, he said all my boards looked long enough anyway.:D
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I have often pondered how a metric crescent wrench differed from a 'normal' one!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

JPG40504 wrote:If it ain't blue when he gets returns, send him back!.......The loctite!

OH! Don't forget it is for a 2.5mm hex socket 'head'('end?') Don't want to cause a third trip!:D

He driving, riding his bicycle, or shank's ponies?
Considering just how large SnowFlake is,does it really matter? My uncle (Jake Flake) lived out of town a mile or so,and it only took 30 minutes to walk to the OTHER side of town from his house.

Gene, how's life up there?

steve