Conical disk

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

camerio
Platinum Member

Conical disk

Post by camerio »

Is there really advantages in owning a conical disk ?
If you have one conical disk, do you find that you use it more than the flat one ?
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

If you have a jointer or planer, the conical disk with the addition of the jig to hold the knives gives you an excellent way to sharpen these knives.

I've also used the conical disk to sand exact angles on narrow strips for a dome top "treasure" chest. Doing this on the jointer or table saw would have been much more hazardous. On one occasion I've even jointed plywood for a glue up.

I like to have one conical disk with 150 grit for sharpening, and another disk with 80 grit for sanding.
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

8iowa wrote:If you have a jointer or planer, the conical disk with the addition of the jig to hold the knives gives you an excellent way to sharpen these knives.

I've also used the conical disk to sand exact angles on narrow strips for a dome top "treasure" chest. Doing this on the jointer or table saw would have been much more hazardous. On one occasion I've even jointed plywood for a glue up.

I like to have one conical disk with 150 grit for sharpening, and another disk with 80 grit for sanding.
They are on sale right now !
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Yep! The conical disk is the only one I have used for quite a while. Use it for the same things 8iowa posted.

In my shop, the flat disk is most valuable for sanding curved edges.

I find the flat disk much more aggressive than the conical.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

charlese wrote:Yep! The conical disk is the only one I have used for quite a while. Use it for the same things 8iowa posted. In my shop, the flat disk is most valuable for sanding curved edges.

I find the flat disk much more aggressive than the conical.
Charlese, there is something I do not understand, did you mean : " in my shop, the conical disk is most valuable for sanding curved edges." or really the flat disk ....
Just want to make sure ...
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Sorry for the confusion. Re-stated - The only thing the flat disk is used for in my shop is smoothing convex curved edges. Sanding concave curved edges is done by hand, sanding drums or the Strip Sander

Conical disk is best for straight edges, and sharpening planer/jointer blades.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
bigeddy
Gold Member

Flat disk

Post by bigeddy »

charlese wrote:Sorry for the confusion. Re-stated - The only thing the flat disk is used for in my shop is smoothing convex curved edges. Sanding concave curved edges is done by hand, sanding drums or the Strip Sander

Conical disk is best for straight edges, and sharpening planer/jointer blades.
Hey, I use the flat disk to sharpening my lathe chisels. Until at least I learn to use the new grinding wheels on the new grinder that I have.
2 Greenies 1st one 282274 10/54 , 2nd one 293858 3/55 :D
michaeltoc
Gold Member

Post by michaeltoc »

bigeddy wrote:Hey, I use the flat disk to sharpening my lathe chisels.
You are correct - you can't use the conical disk for sharpening chisels, and you cant use the flat disk for sharpening planer/jointer knives.

When you sharpen chisels you bring the disk to the work, so you need the full flat face of the disk. Since planer/jointer knives are wide you must move the work across the disk. If you do this with a flat disk the knife will buck & jump when it reaches the outfeed (rising) side. The conical disk makes a point contact on the knife, so you have a smooth straight line as you move the knife along the disk.
Michael

Mark V Model 500 (1985) upgraded to 520 (2009) and PowerPro (2011); Bandsaw, Jointer, Jigsaw, Planer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

michaeltoc wrote:You are correct - you can't use the conical disk for sharpening chisels, and you cant use the flat disk for sharpening planer/jointer knives.

When you sharpen chisels you bring the disk to the work, so you need the full flat face of the disk. Since planer/jointer knives are wide you must move the work across the disk. If you do this with a flat disk the knife will buck & jump when it reaches the outfeed (rising) side. The conical disk makes a point contact on the knife, so you have a smooth straight line as you move the knife along the disk.
If you remain on the downward side of the rotation can you use the flat disk? I ask this understanding that if you are doing something like a planer blade you cannot remain on the downward side.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Not meaning to tota lly disagree, but if the fence is biased(away from the rear of the disk - like edge sanding wood) the flat disk can be used on jointer knives.

However the conical disk works far better, and is not so susceptible to either overheating and damaging the abrasive disk. That was my method before I became aware of the conical disk.

One caveat! This works with the aluminum disk since it has a slight bevel at the periphery. The steel disks do not.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange