How do I disassemble, move, and reassemble my ShopSmith?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chrispitude
Gold Member

How do I disassemble, move, and reassemble my ShopSmith?

Post by chrispitude »

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've been gone for so long. I am now the proud father of a seven month old boy, plus we've moved to a new house with more room for him to grow up. My ShopSmith is still at the old house, and I need to get it out of there. What's the least painful way to get the ShopSmith from there to here? I'll need to know what tools to take with me in advance (it's an hour drive one-way to get there), so details will be helpful.

With time, I am hoping to get to the point where I can get a basement workshop up and running. But for now, this is the first step in that direction. :)

Thanks!

- Chris
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chrispitude wrote:Hi everyone,

Sorry I've been gone for so long. I am now the proud father of a seven month old boy, plus we've moved to a new house with more room for him to grow up. My ShopSmith is still at the old house, and I need to get it out of there. What's the least painful way to get the ShopSmith from there to here? I'll need to know what tools to take with me in advance (it's an hour drive one-way to get there), so details will be helpful.

With time, I am hoping to get to the point where I can get a basement workshop up and running. But for now, this is the first step in that direction. :)

Thanks!

- Chris

I like this approach!

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpost.htm?p=85569&postcount=18
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chrispitude
Gold Member

Post by chrispitude »

Wow! I'm going to have to read that a few times to try to get the gist of it...

Actually, I have a truck with an 8' bed and a cap topper. Maybe I can remove the headstock and carriage, then lift the rest of the entire assembly into the bed and tie it down somehow so it can't fall over. That might be easiest to load it up, plus easiest to reassemble it at the other end. Once I remove the headstock and carriage, that's probably the way to go...

Or, maybe I try removing the headstock separately, then the carriage with the tubes still in the carriage?

Hmm.

- Chris
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Chris;
If you have a truck you are in good shape. Just remove the legs as follows to lower the center of gravity and then slide it into the truck.

[ATTACH]14271[/ATTACH]
Bill V
Attachments
SS upside down.jpg
SS upside down.jpg (67.34 KiB) Viewed 7114 times
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

If you have a truck, just remove the tables (leave the legs on) and tie it down.

I have done it a 'few' times this way with no problems.:cool:
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
dan1999
Gold Member

My Method

Post by dan1999 »

About 2 months ago I bought a 510 from a guy and I had the machine in the back of my Jimmy in about 5 minutes. I put the main table and the extention table just about an inch over the headstock. Flipped it over on the tables and removed the legs. Flipped it over, removed the main table and extention table and was out the door in nothing flat. The guy was still scratching his head as I carried the pieces to the truck.
Mark V 520,Mark V 510(2),Mark V 500(2) Dust Collector(2), Jointer(2), bandsaw(2), jigsaw, beltsander, biscuit joiner(2) Lathe Duplicator, RingMaster, Pro planer
allsas
Gold Member

SS Takedown....

Post by allsas »

I have a P/U w/canopy, 3 piece plywood floor on about 2 " lower than the tail gate when it is closed.

I get the SS close to the open tail gate. Move the headstock away from the truck/tail gate. Loosen the four leg bolts at the end close to the tail gate. Remove the burrs, collect the burrs and crown lock washers for reuse, hold the headrest handle (Accessory Mount Lock Assembly Sleeve and Insert) and pull the Leg bolts out. Usually the legs stay in place without bolts long enough for you to place the Bench on the tail gate with the leg laying on the ground. The light end is slid into the truck. The headstock is slid forward on the Way tubes and locked in place The other set of leg bolts are loosened, burrs and washers collected, bolts removed, leg removed, and the rest of the bench slid into the P/U. Legs gathered up, other accessories loaded in boxes that you brought along.

Eight 1/2 " burrs removed, 1/2" wrench or adjustable wrench, large blade or phillips screw driver, WD40 to start the cleanup process is all you need for tools and supplies.

In my case, I slide the bench on the plywood platform and put the legs and boxes underneath the platform.

Same would work for sliding the Bench / headstock into the backseat of a 60 Chev or modern equivalent,

Process avoids heavy lifting, can be done alone. Try that with an 800 # cabinet saw full of saw dust.

Don't roll the SS into a P/U bed and take off,,, SS is top heavy and may tip when the P/U is cornering.
MK V 520; MK V 510 w/PP DIY Upgrade; MK 5 500; Jointer; Bandsaw; Sliding Table; Conical Sanding Disk; Sharpening Guide, Lathe Duplicator, Jigsaw, Scrollsaw, Beltsander, Ring Master, Biscuit Joiner.
wgander
Gold Member

Moving a Shopsmith

Post by wgander »

I just took the legs off mine (510) and carried it cross country in the back of my minivan (towed on a dolly behind our motor home). I removed the extensionh tables but didn't take them apart. So, all I needed was a screw driver and wrench to remove and later install the legs. I packed saw blades and a few basic tools for the first trip, as it took several trips to get all of my accessories moved.
I only do wood working at our summer place now.