has anyone else had problems with mdf?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I gave up on all types of particle board 30 years ago. Today, none of it is allowed in my shop. If I build something, it will be built of wood core plywoods with hardwood veneer, and solid hardwood.
I will not buy any plywood with MDF or any other particle board core.

If I haven't made myself clear, I truly hate the stuff.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

garys wrote:I gave up on all types of particle board 30 years ago. Today, none of it is allowed in my shop. If I build something, it will be built of wood core plywoods with hardwood veneer, and solid hardwood.
I will not buy any plywood with MDF or any other particle board core.

If I haven't made myself clear, I truly hate the stuff.
I understand that you do not care for particle board (and I agree). I'll not try to change your mind.

However, if you made up your mind 30 years ago, you apparently have no experience with today's MDF. Said another way, your opinion is based on some 3 decade old experience. Things MIGHT have changed a bit.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

If you want to use regular screws like dry wall screws with MDF, it can be done when they are used in connection with dowels. By way of example, if you're attaching horizontal shelves to vertical sides, you would drill say 1/2" holes wherever you want a screw and glue in a piece of dowel. The holes would be drilled through the surface of the shelf about 3/4" in from the end. Then drill a pilot hole through the vertical side member into the edge of the shelf and through the dowel, with the dowel then giving you something to grip solidly with the screw. The orientation of the dowel is perpendicular to the surface of the shelf or, said differently, parallel to the side member of the carcase, and therefore the screw is at a right angle to dowel. It looks something like the small letter "t" (without the little tail at the bottom) when placed on it's side.

If you cut shallow dados in the vertical carcase members and use glue in them as well, you'll end up with a very strong joint.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

dusty wrote: However, if you made up your mind 30 years ago, you apparently have no experience with today's MDF. Said another way, your opinion is based on some 3 decade old experience. Things MIGHT have changed a bit.

I refuse to use MDF on anything I build, but I have more experience with today's MDF than I want. I often have friends bring me a piece of furniture they bought with the complaint. "I just bought this a year or two ago, and the shelf, drawer, or whatever is sagging and warping from load. Everytime, the offending piece is MDF, and I end up working with the MDF long enough to remove the piece, measure it, and make a replacement using wood core plywood. Then the MDF original piece goes into the landfill where it should have been originally.
I haven't had any good experiences with it, but lots of bad ones.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

garys wrote:I refuse to use MDF on anything I build, but I have more experience with today's MDF than I want. I often have friends bring me a piece of furniture they bought with the complaint. "I just bought this a year or two ago, and the shelf, drawer, or whatever is sagging and warping from load. Everytime, the offending piece is MDF, and I end up working with the MDF long enough to remove the piece, measure it, and make a replacement using wood core plywood. Then the MDF original piece goes into the landfill where it should have been originally.
I haven't had any good experiences with it, but lots of bad ones.
OKAY. I'm convinced. You have made up your mind about MDF as well as particle board.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
eagleta2
Gold Member

Post by eagleta2 »

After reading all of the replies...I may give it a try if I run across a good deal. I have a few pieces that were given to me that I may make use of in some shop cabinets I want to make. I will probably use them as shelves.

I can't see building furniture out of the stuff...but maybe use it for some shop fixtures and what not.

I'm not turned off to the idea...I am just too darn cheap to always use 3/4" Baltic birch ply.

Thanks for all the input!

Geo
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I built my garage cabinets out of Oak veneer plywood (wood core) scraps left over from my other projects. If you do a lot of woodworking, you always have a huge pile of left over wood. When you reach the point where you can no longer deal with the pile, build yourself cabinets like this for the garage or shop. This is scrap cabinet grade plywood and solid oak.
Attachments
cabinetdone.jpg
cabinetdone.jpg (128.36 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
allsas
Gold Member

Storage Abused MDF for Offcuts Box on mini-mover dolly

Post by allsas »

I built a box to set on a movers dolly using MDF for sides, ends, and bottom. It was like cutting a cloud with lots of dust. I glued 1 x 2 s to the ends (external) to mount the sides to the MDF ends/1 x 2's. The glue joints broke by pulling a layer of MDF off when I was adjusting the subassemblies to make the case square.

I attributed it to the MDF being stored for a long time and rejoined the MDF / 1 x 2 's with more glue and screws, this time. The bottom sets on the movers dolly and screws through the sides and ends was adequate, but cleats may be needed if the bottom had to support the contents in the box.

I put Boiled Linseed Oil on it to see if it will help the MDF resist dents and dings.

Box is filled with boards, half are about 6' long, not REALLY offcuts, it can be moved on a rough concrete floor, and it is better than moving the boards individually from stacks leaning against the wall.

Keep in mind, the 1/2" protrusion of the casters beyond the sides, not the ends, when dimensioning the case...... only if you place the bottom more than 1 1/2 " from the bottom and the casters are below the edge of the box.
MK V 520; MK V 510 w/PP DIY Upgrade; MK 5 500; Jointer; Bandsaw; Sliding Table; Conical Sanding Disk; Sharpening Guide, Lathe Duplicator, Jigsaw, Scrollsaw, Beltsander, Ring Master, Biscuit Joiner.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

garys wrote:I built my garage cabinets out of Oak veneer plywood (wood core) scraps left over from my other projects. If you do a lot of woodworking, you always have a huge pile of left over wood. When you reach the point where you can no longer deal with the pile, build yourself cabinets like this for the garage or shop. This is scrap cabinet grade plywood and solid oak.
Right nice cabinets. If I built cabinets that nice in my shop I shutter to think what the Mrs would demand for in the kitchen.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

MDF and other related products were heavily used in my shop for jigs. In recent months I have found multiple situations where they have failed me. I built one replacement jig and will replace it when health situation allows. As to Baltic Birch for jigs; everyone I have built continues to serve well. I suspect Baltic Birch and hardwoods will replace the offender. Incidentally the biggest issue has been holes for fasteners enlarging themselves. Whether nuts and bolts or screws same issues. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.