ao smith motor repair

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: ao smith motor repair

Post by JPG »

Realize that video is of a GE motor with EXTERNAL start relay. Most others have INTERNAL mechanically actuated start switches.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
disc42
Gold Member

Post by disc42 »

Thanks I,ll check it out.
disc42
Gold Member

Post by disc42 »

Just a footnote to my previous post.I have the motor apart and have found the external wires that connect to the winding must be replaced. I think this is the problem.The connections are very corroded which caused heat build up causing the insulation to harden and come off.Just not getting enough volts to make the motor run properly.I am replacing the wires with 12 gauge stranded.Will post the results when I finish.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

As for the rubber insulation crumbling, age is the likely cause.

Replacing with 12 ga is over kill for such a short length.

Most important thing there is flexibility(many smaller strands).

Typical electrical stranded wire is too stiff.

Now about the switch???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
disc42
Gold Member

Post by disc42 »

I,m using 12 gauge because that,s what joshh recommends in his rebuild post.As for the switch I have sanded the points and it is fine.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

disc42 wrote:I,m using 12 gauge because that,s what joshh recommends in his rebuild post.As for the switch I have sanded the points and it is fine.
"overkill" ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

disc42
Gold Member

Post by disc42 »

A couple of wiring questions.What are the original wiring colors for a 1962 brownie and when connecting the capacitor does it make any difference which terminal is used for the two wires that connect it to the motor.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

disc42 wrote:A couple of wiring questions.What are the original wiring colors for a 1962 brownie and when connecting the capacitor does it make any difference which terminal is used for the two wires that connect it to the motor.
The capacitor is not 'polarized' so it makes no difference.

Regardless of what the original colors were, I would use white and black.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

disc42
Gold Member

Post by disc42 »

Thanks jpg.Decided to go with 14 gauge wire.Oh by the way do you have wiring diagram of what wire goes where.I have my own but need a backup just to make sure.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

disc42 wrote:Thanks jpg.Decided to go with 14 gauge wire.Oh by the way do you have wiring diagram of what wire goes where.I have my own but need a backup just to make sure.
Any I come up with assumes one knows where the windings are and which one is which.

Post yours that I assume relates to physical location and I can relate to it.

I think there should be only 4 wires total with two of those exiting the motor.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝