Is Dust Collection Useless Or Is Something Not Setup Right?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Is Dust Collection Useless Or Is Something Not Setup Right?

Post by RFGuy »

I am a bit surprised by some of the feedback here. Are you saying it doesn't matter where you place the lower saw guard for TS operation with regard to dust collection? It was my understanding that the lower saw guard should always be adjusted "out", i.e. further away from the saw blade so that it fits snuggly against the plastic piece hanging from the table (don't know the name of this piece since Shopsmith website doesn't have a part number on this piece). For illustration purposes I have taken two pics below, one with the lower saw guard adjusted all the way left (towards sawblade) and one taken all the way right (away from sawblade). In these pictures you can clearly see the gap at the top that I referenced in my earlier post when the lower guard is adjusted too close to the sawblade. The OP confirmed this in his follow-up post. You can also tell this from the OP picture that the lower blade guard is adjusted close to the sawblade (from the position of the knurled nuts for adjusting the guard).

I know there are other locations where the saw guard leaks, but I thought it was clear from the picture and his description that it is leaking from this gap between the table and the lower saw guard, but maybe I am missing something here. Are you saying it doesn't matter the position of the lower saw guard with regard to dust exiting to the right of the sawblade at this gap?

Lower Saw Guard Properly Adjusted:
IMG_3161.jpg
IMG_3161.jpg (64.88 KiB) Viewed 17935 times
Lower Saw Guard - Adjusted Close to the Blade:
IMG_3160.jpg
IMG_3160.jpg (64.16 KiB) Viewed 17935 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jjj240
Gold Member

Post by jjj240 »

I am confused.

Is top picture showing the guard all the way to the left (closed to the blade and correctly adjusted?)

Right or wrong, picture does not show the difference clearly. Can you take pictures in the knob area. It will show the adjustment clearly.

RFGuy wrote:I am a bit surprised by some of the feedback here. Are you saying it doesn't matter where you place the lower saw guard for TS operation with regard to dust collection? It was my understanding that the lower saw guard should always be adjusted "out", i.e. further away from the saw blade so that it fits snuggly against the plastic piece hanging from the table (don't know the name of this piece since Shopsmith website doesn't have a part number on this piece). For illustration purposes I have taken two pics below, one with the lower saw guard adjusted all the way left (towards sawblade) and one taken all the way right (away from sawblade). In these pictures you can clearly see the gap at the top that I referenced in my earlier post when the lower guard is adjusted too close to the sawblade. The OP confirmed this in his follow-up post. You can also tell this from the OP picture that the lower blade guard is adjusted close to the sawblade (from the position of the knurled nuts for adjusting the guard).

I know there are other locations where the saw guard leaks, but I thought it was clear from the picture and his description that it is leaking from this gap between the table and the lower saw guard, but maybe I am missing something here. Are you saying it doesn't matter the position of the lower saw guard with regard to dust exiting to the right of the sawblade at this gap?

Lower Saw Guard Properly Adjusted:
IMG_3161.jpg

Lower Saw Guard - Adjusted Close to the Blade:
IMG_3160.jpg
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The opinions are numerous and varied. I stand by only what I have experienced. I get the best dust collection with the cavity formed by the lower saw guard to be as small as possible.

I suggest that you get someone to view the underside of the table and while cutting a few linear feet of wood. See for yourself exactly how all of that dust escapes. You definitely have an exorbitant amount of dust escaping.

A video of the undersides might also be used to give you something you can study.

This thread is long but very applicable reading given the issue being discussed.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... 3-s50.html
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Meng88
Gold Member

Post by Meng88 »

To answer a few questions posed.

I’m using a Delta 1hp dust collector. If I remember correctly, it’s rated at 650

It’s a 4” hose reduced at the tool.

I was ripping 3/4” boards.

I originally had the guard adjusted as close to the blade as possible (creating a gap under the table that I was unaware of). I have now adjusted it further from the blade, closing the gap. The project I’m working on only had cross cuts at this point and I didn’t want to just waste wood for this test, so it’s difficult to compare. But it does “seem” better.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Meng88 wrote:To answer a few questions posed.

I’m using a Delta 1hp dust collector. If I remember correctly, it’s rated at 650

It’s a 4” hose reduced at the tool.

I was ripping 3/4” boards.

I originally had the guard adjusted as close to the blade as possible (creating a gap under the table that I was unaware of). I have now adjusted it further from the blade, closing the gap. The project I’m working on only had cross cuts at this point and I didn’t want to just waste wood for this test, so it’s difficult to compare. But it does “seem” better.
I am glad you are getting a little "better" results now. There are many other gaps where dust can escape around the Shopsmith saw guard for TS operation. The next two areas to tackle are shown in the pics below with the gaps marked in red circles. It is a long thread to read through, but I will refer you to the thread link below because it has an excellent discussion of some of the fixes other members have come up with for trying to solve these "gaps" in/around the saw guards of the Shopsmith for TS operation. For example, you can make little sheet metal covers to cover the gap around the knurled nuts. The tilting table design of the Shopsmith necessitates having this movable saw guard that doesn't do a great job of dust collection for normal 90 degree cuts for TS operation.

Another area of dust for TS operation is what escapes above the table. A ZCI (zero clearance insert) helps but some members have gone so far as to get the shark guard product for dust collection above the table.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=6063

http://thesharkguard.com/ordershopsmith.html
IMG_3163_2.jpg
IMG_3163_2.jpg (77.58 KiB) Viewed 17879 times
IMG_3162_2.jpg
IMG_3162_2.jpg (73.82 KiB) Viewed 17879 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DanM7
Bronze Member

Post by DanM7 »

Speaking of shop vacs do you all have any suggestions?

I did some research and was going to get one from here: https://www.officialtop5review.com/shop-vacs/ but wasn't sure if these are really the best out there.

I did some research on Amazon and found a lot of the same brands...

Do you get your shop vacs from any where specific, or just sites like the above or Amazon or wherever?
jjj240
Gold Member

Post by jjj240 »

[DELETED]

hmm...so no way to delete my own reply???
Last edited by jjj240 on Mon May 06, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjj240
Gold Member

Post by jjj240 »

RFGuy wrote:
Meng88 wrote:A little confused, so for clarification...are you saying have the guard as “open” as it can me?
If you look at the area in the red circle of the pic below, it looks like about a 1/2" gap between the lower saw guard and the table above. This is where your sawdust is falling through. You may have to kneel down and look up at this area to see the gap.
IMG_5138_2.jpg

just an update following (the confusing) remark above :)

I have been using SS with the guard closed to the blade as much as possible, and gotten lot's of saw dust on way tube, bench tube and carriage.

Now, I have opened up the lower saw guard as much as possible until it hits the plastic guard.
Guess what!
It actually closed the gaps (area showing with red circle), and got much less saw dust underneath.

An improvement confirmed!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jjj240 wrote:[DELETED]

YOU should be able to delete YOUR post.

YOU should be able to edit/modify any of YOUR posts at any time.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jjj240
Gold Member

Post by jjj240 »

JPG wrote:
jjj240 wrote:[DELETED]

YOU should be able to delete YOUR post.

YOU should be able to edit/modify any of YOUR posts at any time.
Yea... I thought so, but I do not see a "delete" button in my reply/post.
Am I missing something here???
aaa.png
aaa.png (12.45 KiB) Viewed 17751 times