Home made segmented ring sanding jig

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Home made segmented ring sanding jig

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

masonsailor2 wrote:That’s actually a cool idea. Looks like something Woodpecker should make as one of their one time tools
Paul
Wrong color, but is this the kind of thing you had in mind?
UNA-Gauge.jpg
UNA-Gauge.jpg (517.08 KiB) Viewed 10454 times
This is just one of several system components -- it comes with attachments for aligning most any woodworking machine. I'm sure that it would be quite a bit more expensive in red. :rolleyes:

https://betterleytools.com/products/una-gauge.html
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Yes that is exactly what I had in mind. Hmm. Ok this comes under the I want column and not the I need column. We will have to see how the balance scale tilts !
Paul
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Thanks for the compliment Al. As usual it came out of necessity. At the time I was turning a lot of paduak which has really nasty dust so I had to come up with a way to sand the rings with minimal dust. The other problem I was having was consistency in the thickness. I was doing a really tall paduak turning and the thickness inconsistencies were driving me bats. I finally figured out I needed to be able to easily flip the rings and move them side to side as they were being sanded which gave me rings at the .01” accuracy level.
Paul
Attachments
A1F82FA7-01AE-45B3-90AC-18494DF47336.jpeg
A1F82FA7-01AE-45B3-90AC-18494DF47336.jpeg (233.03 KiB) Viewed 10438 times
Tenfingers
Gold Member

Post by Tenfingers »

masonsailor2 wrote:Thanks for the compliment Al. As usual it came out of necessity. At the time I was turning a lot of paduak which has really nasty dust so I had to come up with a way to sand the rings with minimal dust. The other problem I was having was consistency in the thickness. I was doing a really tall paduak turning and the thickness inconsistencies were driving me bats. I finally figured out I needed to be able to easily flip the rings and move them side to side as they were being sanded which gave me rings at the .01” accuracy level.
Paul

Absolutely beautiful piece! What material are the "O"s?
Tenfingers
Gold Member

Post by Tenfingers »

masonsailor2 wrote:Thanks for the compliment Al. As usual it came out of necessity. At the time I was turning a lot of paduak which has really nasty dust so I had to come up with a way to sand the rings with minimal dust. The other problem I was having was consistency in the thickness. I was doing a really tall paduak turning and the thickness inconsistencies were driving me bats. I finally figured out I needed to be able to easily flip the rings and move them side to side as they were being sanded which gave me rings at the .01” accuracy level.
Paul
Ive been documenting my progress on this channel. I don't have many subscribers but going from nothing to now, I have been able to complete a few. And a few frisbees :(

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrT0ae ... fDc7wA-noQ
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

They are brass
Paul