problematic quill....revisited.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

I can confirm experience. Had the 500 for about 2 weeks. It's now in the basement in pieces. But, before I did that I had watched the Sawdust session on the quill and had to play. Didn't lock it. Sprained my thumb.:eek:

Shopsmith 1 Me 0 :p
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

etc92guy wrote:I can confirm experience. Had the 500 for about 2 weeks. It's now in the basement in pieces. But, before I did that I had watched the Sawdust session on the quill and had to play. Didn't lock it. Sprained my thumb.:eek:

Shopsmith 1 Me 0 :p

Remind me to not hurt you, I don't want to be taken apart. :D
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
naccrr28
Silver Member

Ouch!

Post by naccrr28 »

Well I think I don't know whether to be happy or somewhat saddened to hear I am in such great company! I can only speak for myself but excuses are not reasons and I am habitually guilty of too much eager enthusiasm which produces "carelessness" in my quests to succeed. Which of course translates into lack of experience. I wish to again thank each of you for your input today and announce that it was in fact the hex screw that "follows" in the quill's groove topside. It now functions smoothly in either horizontal or vertical positions. I think I am free to move on to the next lesson in patience!
Best wishes! Charlie:p
Charlie - Danbury Ct.
510, planer, jointer, belt sander and bandsaw.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Having gotten your knuckles wrapped, it should not be hard to convince you that your Shopsmith can hurt you!

Let that be one of the most important lessons that come out of this experience. Believe me when I tell you - It can and will hurt you a lot worse if you don't utilize GOOD SAFETY PRACTICES.

Sit for a couple minutes and just watch that whirling disk go around and then let your imagination take you for a trip to the ER.

Let that be the ONLY TRIP you take to the ER.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi, Charlie! Glad to have you with us! Also, glad your quill issue is resolved. I can't reason as to why the drag only happened in the vertical position. But since loosening the screw did the trick - so be it.

I personally use the "5" count every time I make a new set-up - (well almost every time!) After tightening one of the handles, it gets to be a habit to reach for and secure the other four. I've found myself wondering where the 5th one is, after counting to four. It's usually the table lock. But always count to 5!!

I might add, don't over tighten, it isn't needed and can cause damage. I've found on my headstock lock, when the handle is in the way of turning the speed control - just back it off a bit. Same thing with the quill lock.

Have fun!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA