good lubrication for this "thing"??

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

mickyd wrote:That OR hold it to a lathe as a duplicator
[ATTACH]6318[/ATTACH]
Thanks Mickyd Nice picture, I have never seen one. Looks like a pretty neat tool.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

I would just replace it with a new one. You can pick one up for about $10 or $11. Here is one for $8.99.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Thanks for the responses!

And two hours later the thing is still a "little stiff". I have taken it apart and cleaned each wire (it wasn't all that dirty... and no corrosion).

Putting it back together was a pain which I will not go into but it didn't happen without the use of some additional tools. Much easier to take apart is an understatement.

This design is a lot different then the one I own. One thing I noticed was you can not take a wire out and put it back in... in fact if you get then a little to close they "drop in" and will require you to take it apart to put them back in working position. On mine you can take them in and out with little difficulty.

My guess is that it is now back to original condition and simply doesn't work well as mine (or maybe that is because I'm use to mine??). My guess is the father-in-law got it, tried it, tossed it in the bottom of the drawer. I'll take it back in the spring and put it in its rightful place after I get the profile I need off the molding.

The one on ebay looks a lot like it so I guess "they" are still out there. This one would be at least 15 years old as he has not been doing this sort of work for at least that long. He turns 94 tomorrow!

By way of a scientific sort of test... I put a 1" dowel on the bathroom scale then use the tool to do the shape and watched the scale. It looked to be just over 10 pounds initially and now is reading about 4. (The first couple of time after reassembly it was more like 6 but the more I used it the better it got so I pulled the higher numbers out of the averaging).

So I'd say case closed.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]