Turning Pens

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

flashbacpt wrote:I totally agree with Spike13. Yes, you can turn with the large basic set, but as you gain experience in turning, you will see/learn the need for the mini set which will allow you to create more detail, more easily, in your pen turning. Besides, you will find more uses for the mini set as it opens the door for such things as Chess pieces, small wood parts, etc. Also, Check out, and obtain a catalog from PennState.com which will give you a lot of information, and will display all kinds of items that you can turn.
Good luck!
FlashbacPT
PennState.com didn't work for me. All I got was the College website.
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

flashbacpt wrote:I totally agree with Spike13. Yes, you can turn with the large basic set, but as you gain experience in turning, you will see/learn the need for the mini set which will allow you to create more detail, more easily, in your pen turning. Besides, you will find more uses for the mini set as it opens the door for such things as Chess pieces, small wood parts, etc. Also, Check out, and obtain a catalog from PennState.com which will give you a lot of information, and will display all kinds of items that you can turn.
Good luck!
FlashbacPT
PennState.com didn't work for me. All I got was the College website.
Mike
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Navycop

Try this link and it should work.

http://www.pennstateind.com/
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

Thanks. That one worked. Now all I have too do is get some chiesls. I will probally go to Woodcraft and pick some up. I have always been fasten-ated (hey they can do it with 'wood'), by pens handmade out of wood. After some studing and training I will give it a try. :cool:
Mike
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I have the set from Shopsmith and they work great! Woodcraft has a fine three piece set. You can't go wrong with either one.

BPR
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

I was just noticed they had "pen light" flashlights. Are the blanks the same as for regular pins? Just turned different?
Mike
enyoc
Gold Member

Post by enyoc »

dasazer wrote:Can you use the same turning tools for pen turning that the basic turning comes with or smaller tools needed?
Check out the huge chisels being used in this video!

Turning-Pens-on-the-Lathe-From-Start-to-Finish
JC
Hampden Twp, PA

Bought, restored and sold a 520 before I knew what I had (and should have kept) - Now I found religion and I'm working on restoring a 500 and a 10E.
paul269
Gold Member

Post by paul269 »

If you are buying supplies to make pens then don't forget the micro-mesh. It is the best way to get the glass smooth finish.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

navycop wrote:Thanks. That one worked. Now all I have too do is get some chiesls. I will probally go to Woodcraft and pick some up. I have always been fasten-ated (hey they can do it with 'wood'), by pens handmade out of wood. After some studing and training I will give it a try. :cool:
Be sure to give us a detailed report on your studing!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange