All videos seem to be cut off

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I fiddled with the Flash player storage setting and changed it from 100KB to 1MB and ran the lift assist session. It loaded completely without stopping. If you don't know how to change the setting, right-click on the video and choose settings. Click on the folder icon to get to the storage settings. Click on the slider to move it to the right so that it reads 1 MB, then click close and play the video. I hope this helps.
dennisw
Silver Member

Post by dennisw »

markfive510 wrote:I guess we could ask SS to do everything in 15 minute segments. Insert "an intermission for a little while".
Bruce - that's a good idea, but Paul suggested that up thread a bit, and I did this and it didn't work. Raised it to 1MB, then 10B then to "Unlimited" and it didn't work at any setting.

I've submitted a work ticket through the Webmaster who passed it on to Nick Engler.
dennisw
Silver Member

Post by dennisw »

Bruce wrote:I fiddled with the Flash player storage setting and changed it from 100KB to 1MB and ran the lift assist session. It loaded completely without stopping. If you don't know how to change the setting, right-click on the video and choose settings. Click on the folder icon to get to the storage settings. Click on the slider to move it to the right so that it reads 1 MB, then click close and play the video. I hope this helps.
Bruce - that's a good idea, but Paul suggested that up thread a bit, and I did this and it didn't work. Raised it to 1MB, then 10MB then to "Unlimited" and it didn't work at any setting.

I've submitted a work ticket through the Webmaster who passed it on to Nick Engler.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Dennis, and other Apple-users who are having problems viewing our videos, you may want to read this thread: http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=1017

Please remember that (1) our videos are a free service from Shopsmith and (2) Drew and I are not trained or qualified in any way to advise people about IT problems, especially Apple-IT problems. We are craftsmen who know just enough about webcasting to get on the Internet. We don't have the time, the budget, the know-how, the experience, the equipment, or the manpower to help individual viewers with configuration problems. Every resource we have to bear on your viewing problems is on our FAQ at http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/FAQ.html , and we update that regularly as new information is passed to us.

Because these videos are (1) free and (2) Drew and I are Apple-illiterate, issuing a "work ticket" is a cause for much entertainment here at Shopsmith. People point and snicker and cast their eyes in our general direction in the lunchroom. Others write pejorative poems and post them in the men's restroom. Someone put gum on my chair. None of which gets you any closer to viewing the videos.

My advice is to find someone who actually is qualified to help you and ask them to solve your problem. If necessary, agree to pay them once the problem has been successfully solved.

We're sorry we can't help you, but you really don't want us mucking around inside your computer.

With all good wishes,
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Don't know if it helps any, but I often have the same problem on my Windows computer, the video will stop somewhere between 14 and 17 minutes. I just exit out of the browser, open up the Sawdust Session again, drag the indicator to about one minute before the stopping point, and click on the play button. Nine times out of ten, that fixes it.

When the thing gets really cranky, I empty out all cookies and temporary internet files, reboot, and try again.

Gary
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

nick wrote: We're sorry we can't help you, but you really don't want us mucking around inside your computer.
No offense meant, Nick, but I don't remember anyone either blaming Shopsmith, or you, or Drew for the problem. So just keep on doing the good job you do and we'll figure it out. Thanks.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Bruce wrote:No offense meant, Nick, but I don't remember anyone either blaming Shopsmith, or you, or Drew for the problem. So just keep on doing the good job you do and we'll figure it out. Thanks.

Bruce you didn't but apparently Dennissw reported it to the web master to pass on to Nick. See his 5:31 AM post today last sentence/paragraph.
Ed
dennisw
Silver Member

Post by dennisw »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Bruce you didn't but apparently Dennissw reported it to the web master to pass on to Nick. See his 5:31 AM post today last sentence/paragraph.
Ed
Fellas - You make it sound like I put somebody "on report" as though there was an intent to get someone in "trouble". All I did, as happens all the time, is report an issue with the Web site to the Webmaster, which is SOP everywhere. Normally the Webmaster is somewhere is some IT group (where depends on the company) and they normally are the ones who handle the technical issues. I'm glad my choice of the standard terminology "work ticket" was unintentioanlly humorous, but I've run IT and CS call centers and this is what it's called.

On this Tax Day I'm sure we can all use a few more smiles. I know I can.

Where else would I report an issue with the Web site other than to the Webmaster?

As Bruce stated, in no way was it my intention to criticize anyone nor to diminish the excellent work Nick and Drew are doing. If the videos weren't so good, we Mac guys wouldn't go to such lengths to try and get them to work.

I know what it's like to put something on the web and then have it generate headaches. I self-publish and produce a video podcast on another avocation which I pay for out of my pocket, and frequently get technical inquiries from people who act as though there is an entire IT department in my study waiting to solve their issues. But, they have no way of knowing who I am or what support might exist. All they want is to view the "product" I'm putting out there, so I do my best to try and help them.

Dennis
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

I've got a few mac's at home and have viewed a few sawdust sessions via WIFI and haven't seen any issues.. I was using the standard apple browser (Safari) for what its worth.. Feel free to drop me a private message if you're having problems and I'll see if I can reproduce it on my end (assuming I'm at home -- at work I use a PC and can't stream videos anyway -- good 'ol corporate environment).. :confused:
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

I use windows with Fire fox and have watched just about every video,all the way, and never a problem ever. Who knows??????