All videos seem to be cut off

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dennisw
Silver Member

All videos seem to be cut off

Post by dennisw »

Howdy - New to these forums, but not to ShopSmith. Have had my 510 for almost 20 years. Stumbled on these sites (there seem to be several SS sites) and got all excited about the online videos. Unfortunately, every last one of them loads only so far and then stops. At first, I thought it was my internet connection, but each video stops at exactly the same point.

I went to the Google video location and the same thing is happening.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dennis in Illinois
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

dennisw wrote:Howdy - New to these forums, but not to ShopSmith. Have had my 510 for almost 20 years. Stumbled on these sites (there seem to be several SS sites) and got all excited about the online videos. Unfortunately, every last one of them loads only so far and then stops. At first, I thought it was my internet connection, but each video stops at exactly the same point.

I went to the Google video location and the same thing is happening.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dennis in Illinois

Need more data, what kind of PC, what OS and what version of Flash do you have? For flash you want 9,0,115,0.

Also a link to one that does now work, I just checked a few on Google and every one played correctly.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
dennisw
Silver Member

Post by dennisw »

Paul,

OK, but if it was my PC, why would the videos play at all and when they did play, why would they stop at exactly the same time?

Anyway, Mac OS 10.4.11, Safari 3.1 and Firefox browsers (they both showed the same issue). Flash 9.0 r115 on Safari.

Here's one that plays to something like 15:20 (I don't recall the exact point, but I wrote it down yesterday and this morning, and each time the video stopped at the same point) then stops:

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... enance.htm
I just checked a few on Google and every one played correctly.

All the videos I tried also seemed to play correctly - but they stopped without finishing. This can take 15 or more minutes to see happen.

Thanks,
Dennis
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

dennisw wrote:Paul,

OK, but if it was my PC, why would the videos play at all and when they did play, why would they stop at exactly the same time?

Anyway, Mac OS 10.4.11, Safari 3.1 and Firefox browsers (they both showed the same issue). Flash 9.0 r115 on Safari.

Here's one that plays to something like 15:32 (I don't recall the exact point, but I wrote it down yesterday and this morning, and each time the video stopped at the same point) then stops:

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS111/SS111_Mark_V_Maintenance.htm

All the videos I tried also seemed to play correctly - but they stopped without finishing. This can take 15 or more minutes to see happen.

Thanks,
Dennis

I played them all the way through but they were not over 15 minutes, right click and and select settings. Check the buffer size, you might see if making it bigger solves your issue.

I am playing the one you linked to with a 10 megabyte buffer on a 12 megabit per second cable modem link.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
dennisw
Silver Member

Post by dennisw »

OK, right clicked and raised the memory to 10MB then unlimited and the same thing happened: it stopped at 15:20.
sandyj
Gold Member

On a Mac...

Post by sandyj »

I have iMac G5 and sys 10.4.11 etc ->
I can view with no problems now but...

in Firefox,
you may have the cache 'remembering' where you last loaded up to.

select TOOLS > Clear Private Data... the check/tick >Cache
then >Clear Private data.

Also don't use any other network/browser function eg: dashboard, messenger etc. Mine would hang when i checked my mail while downloading the vid to view.

Good luck - let's know how you get on.

Sandy
1960 SS500, Magna Jointer & Dado. Hailing from New Zealand
dennisw
Silver Member

Post by dennisw »

Sandy - No, I don't use Firefox. I only tried it to see if it was a Safari thing. Everything I've posted here has to do with Safari.

When you say "I can view with no problems now but..." did you watch it until the 15:20 mark? Again, it APPEARS to work fine even on my Mac, but the videos stops at 15:20 over and over.

This is the puzzling aspect that leads me to believe it's not on my end where the problem is.

Thanks.
sandyj
Gold Member

Post by sandyj »

okay
I'll run with safari and try out the maintenance link.

But I'll be a couple of days -Thursday our time before i can reply on that topic.
Bandwidth used up - too many hands on line viewing.

Cheerz
Sandy
1960 SS500, Magna Jointer & Dado. Hailing from New Zealand
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

dennisw wrote:Sandy - No, I don't use Firefox. I only tried it to see if it was a Safari thing. Everything I've posted here has to do with Safari.

When you say "I can view with no problems now but..." did you watch it until the 15:20 mark? Again, it APPEARS to work fine even on my Mac, but the videos stops at 15:20 over and over.

This is the puzzling aspect that leads me to believe it's not on my end where the problem is.

Thanks.

I finally finished the entire video you linked to 35+ minutes without issue using Sarari for Windows. I don't have my MAC any more but when I did I never had issues watching the Google versions, watching live was an issue for several people using a MAC.

Safari also has a cache but I don't remember how to empty it.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

I just tested with my iMac. I'm running 10.5.2, 2.4GHz Intel core 2 duo, 2GB RAM.

I can confirm the video freezes for me at the exact same location 15:20 when using safari. It must be some kind of setting somewhere. Safari stops streaming the video much earlier and the player stops when the video stream buffer ends, which is strangely at 15:20.

I am able to view the entire session using Camino (which is the browser I normally use). So this must be a safari thing.

Paul