PowerPro review - the whole thing

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

JPG40504 wrote:Finally! A definitive workable solution to the bandsaw table(aluminum) clearance problem!:D:eek:

Any word on planer control box switch as well? Me thinks another oversight like the larger BS table.(or since no easy solution, none is offered this time)
I remember some info posted in the past about using the planer on the right side instead of the left now that you can run backwards. I haven't tried it myself since I sold my Mark V mount planer when I ended up scoring a standalone SS Pro Planer...and that was before my PowerPro arrived.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

damagi wrote:I remember some info posted in the past about using the planer on the right side instead of the left now that you can run backwards. I haven't tried it myself since I sold my Mark V mount planer when I ended up scoring a standalone SS Pro Planer...and that was before my PowerPro arrived.

Makes sense!!! I missed that! I retract my earlier post re no 'solution' offered!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
michae4716
Bronze Member

Post by michae4716 »

Great review! My problem last spring was the overspeed at start-up when set to 250 rpm, a real problem when turning poorly balanced 12" bowl blanks. Jim McCann and his team really came through for me, and I now have a unit which runs at any speed I choose. The Shopsmith crew's performance was first rate, and they now have a very satisfied customer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I cannot help but wonder if each 'fix' has resulted in differently responding units due to different needs, or if the resultant fixes are combined to a common 'fix'. That would mean earlier fixes to be 'out of date', or the possibility of strangely acting units later when operating conditions change.:confused:

Neither is good!

I would hope a 'common' reprogramming version will be available as experience with this new animal is attained.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

michae4716 wrote:Great review! My problem last spring was the overspeed at start-up when set to 250 rpm, a real problem when turning poorly balanced 12" bowl blanks. Jim McCann and his team really came through for me, and I now have a unit which runs at any speed I choose. The Shopsmith crew's performance was first rate, and they now have a very satisfied customer.

Did thes fix get done over the phone, or did ou have to send in the unit?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I thought one of the woodworking mags were doing a review what ever happened to that?
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I thought one of the woodworking mags were doing a review what ever happened to that?
Maybe they could not find enough things to dis it?:D(other than the already exposed 'shortcomings')
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

JPG40504 wrote:Maybe they could not find enough things to dis it?:D(other than the already exposed 'shortcomings')
No I thought someone's buddy a wood working mag editor that was very fair minded was going to do a review. I'm guessing but I think it was Popular Woodworking.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Glen Huey's review is discussed in this thread:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=7532

Gary
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Okay I remember now. That review sure stirred my heart I could feel the wind whistling through my hair as the reviewer accelerated through the pile of cherry. I could hear the tires squeal as the author spun a bowl on the lathe. I could smell the power as he drilled 3 inch holes in raw oak. I could taste the dust as he let the disk sander have its head in a pine board.

Now I remember why I don't bother with Popular Woodworking.

What a waste no wonder I forgot about that review.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!