Turning Pens

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

paul269 wrote:Thanks for the info Tom. What does a sink cut out go for in your area?
They throw them away. If you want to dumpster-dive it's free. They might want to charge a buck or so if you ask them to specifically save them for you...
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
paul269
Gold Member

Post by paul269 »

just checked on ebay and found 400 Corian blanks for $38.00. That is less than $0.10 per blank. By time I find a cut out and cut it into a blank I would have more time and money invested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/400-Corian-Solid-Su ... 286.c0.m14
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Several weeks ago on another discussion I related my process for turning pens. At that point I did not share pictures of the jigs I have built for cutting blanks on the band saw and drilling them. They are attached here. jim
Attachments
BankSawPenJig709.jpg
BankSawPenJig709.jpg (36.63 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
PenDrillingJig1.jpg
PenDrillingJig1.jpg (56.79 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
PenDrillingJig2.jpg
PenDrillingJig2.jpg (48.08 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
PenDrillingJig3.jpg
PenDrillingJig3.jpg (47.54 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

paul269 wrote:just checked on ebay and found 400 Corian blanks for $38.00. That is less than $0.10 per blank. By time I find a cut out and cut it into a blank I would have more time and money invested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/400-Corian-Solid-Su ... 286.c0.m14

Check closer. I think ya get 100 for the $38.00. They have 4 lots to sell.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
paul269
Gold Member

Post by paul269 »

No, The add says 100 different colors, four blanks per color.
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

I saw listed on ebay: 7mm Mont Blanc style w/bushings, Parker style double twist w/bushings, 10mm Rod w/bushings. These all came together with some extra bushings also. My questions is Will they fit on the SS? If they do, can I use the drill chuck from the SS?
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

pens on shopsmith

Post by RobertTaylor »

with the info from your post i would say yes they will fit. you can turn any pen on your shopsmith. the mont blanc pen is also known as a "euro" style pen. the parker style pen is also known as a "classic american" style pen. the 10mm rod i don't believe has anything to do with either of those pens. the extra bushings may or may not be used with kits available today. getting unknown bushings is always a fun scavenger hunt to figure what kits they fit. a micrometer or dial caliper is a helpful tool in those cases. most mandrels will work with the drill chuck. some with a #2MT can be removed from the taper and some can not be removed. another method of holding mandrels on the shopsmith is the 1/4" router chuck if you have one.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:Check closer. I think ya get 100 for the $38.00. They have 4 lots to sell.
FWIW the add says: 4 Lots of 400 blanks(4 each of 100 colors):)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

bettyt44720 wrote: most mandrels will work with the drill chuck. some with a #2MT can be removed from the taper and some can not be removed. another method of holding mandrels on the shopsmith is the 1/4" router chuck if you have one.
Only the #2MT (not #1MT) mandrel will work with the drill chuck? I am looking at just doing 7mm slimline pens right now. I know I will have to buy the bushings separete.
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
jimthej
Gold Member

Pen Mandrel

Post by jimthej »

navycop wrote:Only the #2MT (not #1MT) mandrel will work with the drill chuck? I am looking at just doing 7mm slimline pens right now. I know I will have to buy the bushings separete.
Neither the 1MT or 2 MT will fit any of the chucks. What you have to do is remove the rod of the mandrel from the taper, if you can. Some are threaded. Some are welded or pressed. Threaded are easy to remove. The rod can then be inserted into the Jacobs chuck or 1/4" router chuck.
I bought the SS mandrel from Penn State and find it works beautifully.
Jim in Bakersfield:D