Turning Pens

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

Yeah, I was going to get the starter kit from PS but I can't afford it now. I was going to get the parts individually as I can. Woodcraft has the #1 and
#2MT mandrels.
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

woodcraft also has a replacement shaft for their mandrels that will work in the shopsmith drill chuck or 1/4" router chuck. it is about $3.00. fwiw a 7mm mandrel is not 7mm. the tubes measure 7mm od. the mandrel fits inside the 7mm tube and is 1/4" diameter.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

I was going to get the PS starter kit, but funds are short. I saw that Woodcraft had the #1MT and #2MT.
Mike
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Just buy the replacemnent shaft 141502 from Woodcraft for just $2.99 and put it in the jacob's chuck. That was what I started with. Cheap and easy start. Then you buy the pen sleeves you need for the kit you build.You can even got the curl nut for the of the shaft for a dollar or two.
Good luck I find once you can find what nice pens or other kits you can turn from just any piece or scrap of wood you can find you won't stop.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

Would these work for pens or are they too small? http://www.amazon.com/8-pc-Mini-Wood-Ca ... &qid=12521
Mike
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

navycop

JMHO - I don't think I would try to use those chisels for pen turning. They are designed to do carving and I suspect that they would probably cause the tool to catch the pen blank either ruining it or worse and possibly causing injury to yourself. They are designed to take out different portions of wood depending on which type of effect you are trying for. I think the skew is pretty much all you need for turning pens especially if you are starting with a round blank. I use a gouge for a square blank then finish with a skew and I personally prefer the larger tools compared to the smaller pen turning tools.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
paul269
Gold Member

Post by paul269 »

Rkh2 is correct. Those won’t work on the lathe. You need something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHOPSMITH-SHOPMATE- ... 286.c0.m14