Mini or Shorty Sanding Station

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Mini or Shorty Sanding Station

Post by tomsalwasser »

Greetings woodworkers,

I would really enjoy seeing your pictures of a shortened SS dedicated to sanding. I searched through the forum and google but didn't find a whole lot.

I did come across Dusty's comment, which is making me think. He said if you don't have room for a full SS you won't have room for a shorty either. I also came across a picture of farmer's push me pull me drill press. That is the most creative SS mod I've ever seen. Nice job.

Thanks guys. Have a great weekend. Remember to observe Memorial Day if you can. Almost every community has a ceremony honoring those who gave all they had for us. I stumbled on a ceremony one Memorial Day a few years ago; to say it was moving is an understatement. I make a point of being there now.

Best,
Tom
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Here is a mini sanding station photo that I saved from somewhere, don't recall where:
[ATTACH]17461[/ATTACH]
Attachments
mini sanding stn.jpg
mini sanding stn.jpg (51.42 KiB) Viewed 7767 times
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Thanks Peter. I wonder why the wooden table and fence?
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

tomsalwasser wrote:Thanks Peter. I wonder why the wooden table and fence?
The fence can be used to size parts the old fashioned way. That is angling it slightly and feeding in from the back side of the machine. The table provides significantly more width than the 'wide' extension table. The setup was the California Sawdustman's but the table now resides in San Diego. It was part of a lot that I picked up from Jeff.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Oh I see. Can you please post more pics of that fence? Thanks Rob.

Tom
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

tomsalwasser wrote:Oh I see. Can you please post more pics of that fence? Thanks Rob.

Tom
Here you go Tom.

[ATTACH]17462[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]17463[/ATTACH]
Attachments
sanding table 1.jpg
sanding table 1.jpg (128.79 KiB) Viewed 7660 times
sanding table 2.jpg
sanding table 2.jpg (104.28 KiB) Viewed 7647 times
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Hey I could make that! Thanks Rob.

Another idea. Anybody ever made a drill press shorty that's too short to ever lay down again but still long enough to be stable and not fall over?
wingrider
Gold Member

Post by wingrider »

I turned my greenie into a shorty so I could still use it as a table saw if need be. I have a full size Mark V 500 as well so I can have them both setup to do deferent operations. The one in my avatar is my greenie that I cut down and rebuilt.