Newbie Question Regarding Serial Number

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

marcp1956
Gold Member

Newbie Question Regarding Serial Number

Post by marcp1956 »

I just purchased a Shopsmith and am not sure what year and model I have. I have looked through the information on this site and it would seem that I have an old "greenie" with a September 1981 model 500 headstock. Please correct me if I am wrong or have not given enough information.

The base is green and the headstock is grey with a silver information labels on the speed control side of the headstock. The data tag on the headstock says Shopsmith Mark V model number 555510 serial number 082288. I have a spare headstock in a box that is green. The seller said this was new, but I suspect it may be the original headstock.

When ordering parts what is this? Model 500, 510 or ???

Shalom, Marc
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

marcp1956 wrote: When ordering parts what is this? Model 500, 510 or ???

Shalom, Marc
The difference between the modal numbers is the table size mostly.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Your suspicions are accurate. From your description, it appears you have a greenie, but with a 1988 headstock(gray). The green headstock is probably the 'original'. As beeg already pointed out the 500/505/510/520 distinctions are all table/fence relevant.

If the main table has a lip that was cast as part of the rest of the table top, that would be the original greenie table. If not, that has been upgraded as well.

The headstock in de box is most likely a gilmer drive, and I suspect is probably non-functional to some degree. That is NOT necessarily a permanent condition however.

I conclude from the PO comment regarding the 'extra' headstock that accurate knowledge is next to non-existant as it relates to your acquisition.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
marcp1956
Gold Member

Post by marcp1956 »

So, when purchasing an owner's manual what would serve me the best or should I get two? One for the "greenie" and one for a model 500? Is there a download of some information that would help me get start or perhaps a book? I am not a novice woodworker, but far from an expert. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with my new acquisition. (My dad used one like this but I was too young to remember much about it.)

The PO stated that the headstock in the box was a new headstock but he was simply repeating what the person he bought it from told him. The Shopsmith is missing the quill handle (the handle that operates the drill press), the coupling that goes to the planer, the owners manual, the drill press chuck and I am sure I will find a few other other parts that have been misplace through the last decades. (When ordering these parts would I be ordering for a Mark V model 500?) The Shopsmith seems to run smooth through all speeds and does not appear broke - a little bit rusty though. I paid $200 for it. Does that sound about right?

Shalom, Marc
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

All parts are essentially the same regardless of model. There are a few exceptions, so ask! Any of the drill chucks are compatible, the couplers are functionally equivalent.

I assume you have a jointer that you referred to as a planer.

FWIW there is only one red handle for use on either side of the quill feed shaft. It can be moved as desired. Assuming you have the greenie table, the height adjusting handle is identical the the quill feed handle. Thus you need to have two(one for the quill feed, and one for the table height crank).

A posted pix would tell us much more than words!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You will be hard pressed getting a greenie version manual.

You will findthis of value.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

marcp1956
Gold Member

Post by marcp1956 »

I will try to post some pictures:

Speed control side:

Extra parts:

The other side:

The "new" headstock complete with mouse bedding (I don't think the headstock came stuffed with this stuff.):

I think I need to read some advice to new owners. Great forum!

Shalom, Marc
marcp1956
Gold Member

Post by marcp1956 »

Some more pictures:

The jointer (I need to figure out how to put in the blades and use this):

The lathe attachment and sanding disc:

I think this coupling is missing a spring?:

I think this goes to the jointer but really don't know how to use it yet:

Shalom, Marc
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

marcp1956 wrote:I will try to post some pictures:

Speed control side:

Extra parts:

The other side:

The "new" headstock complete with mouse bedding (I don't think the headstock came stuff with this stuff.):

I think I need to read some advice to new owners. Great forum!

Shalom, Marc
How about rolling that bike out where it too can be seen.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
marcp1956
Gold Member

Post by marcp1956 »

Did I exceed the image limit? Mmmmm.... I tried to use the quill handle that is on the table in the first picture for the headstock drill press handle but it would not physically fit. I'll tinker around with it a bit more and try to figure it out.

Shalom, Marc