Anothre Newby pen question

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lightnin
Platinum Member

Anothre Newby pen question

Post by lightnin »

I'm not gonna make any pens soon but will keep it in mind when I have small pieces of good stuff.
What general dimensions should a pen blank be?
Any directions through grain a no no for turning something so small?
It won't take a very big piece of scrap for one and I don't want to throw away pieces big enough.
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
2bits
Gold Member

Post by 2bits »

Generally 3/4" by 3/4" by 5" for most pen kits. There are some that are a bit larger and a bit smaller ( the mini purse pens or neck pens as an example of smaller) so that would mean there is no such thing as "scrap";) . I would guess (I am worse than a novice in this regard as I have yet to turn a pen but I have been collecting the needed supplies) that a cross grain (90degrees) would be questionable but any other cut would be worth attempting. The 90 degree may be usable with some wood if finished properly.
I have had some major delays in getting my woodworking up and running this year but (I hope) most of them are behind me. I have lots more work to get the "shop" area converted into a usable shop, but I anticipate a productive fall/winter. Our schedule is a bit off kilter from normal here in southern Arizona. I am so looking forward to turning my first pen and getting some of my looooong list of projects started:D
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Commercial pen blanks are generally 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" long, which is long enough to make the 2-tube pen kits. The 1-tube kits often use a shorter blank. For some of the fatter pen kits, you may want to start with a 1" x 1" blank, in case you drill the hole somewhat off-center. Usually the grain runs generally along the length of the blank.

Most of the companies selling pen kits specify the blank size needed for the kit.

Gary
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Penn State Industries, Woodcraft, and others have downloadable instructions for the pen kits they sell, so that's a good place to start for information about what's needed in the way of drill bits, bushings, and blank size requirements.
Art in Western Pennsylvania