Plywood Projectile

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mrhart
Platinum Member

Plywood Projectile

Post by mrhart »

Saturday I was cutting oak plyawood to size about 9"x14" roughly. I had the fence on the right, and I had 9" between the blade and the fence. The waste side would slide off to the left of the blade. I was using a SS pushblock positioned on my 9" piece. I had cut a few pieces already this way, seemed to work ok. On the last cut I pulled back my arms just a little when I was getting ready to go for the power switch.....BANG, :eek: the workpiece turned slightly sideways into the blade and was instantly thrust into my stomach. Good news, I had more plywood, and my abdomen is mostly steel as you could imagine :D. Just a redmark which is still tender today but now I flinch everytime I hear a power tool.

Was os wasn't I performing the cut correctly? I know I just momentarily took my eye/thought off the ball.
R Hart
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mrhart wrote:Saturday I was cutting oak plyawood to size about 9"x14" roughly. I had the fence on the right, and I had 9" between the blade and the fence. The waste side would slide off to the left of the blade. I was using a SS pushblock positioned on my 9" piece. I had cut a few pieces already this way, seemed to work ok. On the last cut I pulled back my arms just a little when I was getting ready to go for the power switch.....BANG, :eek: the workpiece turned slightly sideways into the blade and was instantly thrust into my stomach. Good news, I had more plywood, and my abdomen is mostly steel as you could imagine :D. Just a redmark which is still tender today but now I flinch everytime I hear a power tool.

Was os wasn't I performing the cut correctly? I know I just momentarily took my eye/thought off the ball.

You do realize that this most likely happened as a direct result of how you handled the push block. I believe you did this by twisting the 9" cutoff in such a way that it climbed the back side of the blade and then did the obvious. Not exactly what I consider a kick back although it does produce the same results.

Glad you are OKAY.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Was it the piece between the blade and the fence that kicked back, or the piece on the other side of the blade from the fence?
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

heathicus wrote:Was it the piece between the blade and the fence that kicked back, or the piece on the other side of the blade from the fence?

between. Not the waste.
R Hart
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

dusty wrote:You do realize that this most likely happened as a direct result of how you handled the push block. I believe you did this by twisting the 9" cutoff in such a way that it climbed the back side of the blade and then did the obvious. Not exactly what I consider a kick back although it does produce the same results.

Glad you are OKAY.

That is exactly it.
R Hart
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Then I'd say you performed the cut correctly except for the follow through. Push the workpiece well clear of the blade (remove it from the table) before you turn your attention away from it!
&quot wrote:Glad you are OKAY.
+1 !
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
TheBigE
Gold Member

Post by TheBigE »

I'm glad your ok! Would using the saw guard with the paws prevent this? Maybe a feather board?
1986 Mark V 500, SS Bandsaw, SS Belt Sander, Shaper Package, SS Molder, SS Oscillating Drum Sander, Excalibur EX-II scrollsaw, Central Machine 6 1/8" Jointer, Rigid 13" planer, Various routers and table.

"Remeber, you're unique. Just like everyone else."
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

This video shows how it happens.:eek: Kickback on camera
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'd be getting use to using the splitter/guard system it is unlikely that would happen with them in place.

That is a very good video to watch for those that think they have it all in control...... you don't.

If you are up for watching a similar demo of lathe turning gone wrong (not for those who can not stand the sight of dripping blood) here is another case of someone trying to demo what not to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOhHeyoZLaY

Ed
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

That's why we should all have a crosscut sled and use it every time. It is on my list to build one soon. I've had it happen too, so until I get that sled built, I stand beside the saw instead of inline with the blade.
My stomach appreciates it. :)