Old shopsmith hand made grinding guard

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Old shopsmith hand made grinding guard

Post by reible »

Hi,

If you happen to own the old yellow covered PTWFE vintage 1976 ish you can the Sharpening Tools Chapter page 304 for some of the uses shown. It has the plans for building it on page 150.

The guard also works for buffing and wire brushing and can be re-sized to fit different expendables.

Keep in mind the guard shown below has been sitting for years (not seen much use since the late 1970's) so never mind the spider dropping and dust.

Anyway there has been a posting mentioning it of late and I though I'd give you some pictures to look at so you can sync up on what this is.

[ATTACH]20416[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20417[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20418[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20419[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20420[/ATTACH]

Ed
Attachments
IMG_7296sc.jpg
IMG_7296sc.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 6703 times
IMG_7297sc.jpg
IMG_7297sc.jpg (32.84 KiB) Viewed 6695 times
IMG_7298sc.jpg
IMG_7298sc.jpg (35.11 KiB) Viewed 6697 times
IMG_7299sc.jpg
IMG_7299sc.jpg (66.31 KiB) Viewed 6703 times
IMG_7300sc.jpg
IMG_7300sc.jpg (60.53 KiB) Viewed 6695 times
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Hey Ed:

I have been most impressed with your knowledge, eloquence, and obviously very high intelligence on this forum. And then just today, I saw that a SS overhead pin router had come up for sale in my parts. When I Googled it, the only useful information in the entire world had come from, guess who, YOU. Now I am extremely impressed.

But then I saw the color of the headstock cover on your PP upgrade in this thread, and became uneasy. Proper ShopSmiths are now made in Ohio, and are colored Scarlet and Gray. Can you explain that sky-blue color? Do you have some Maize colored components hidden just out of camera range? :eek:

BTW, if you don't have a clue what I am talking about, no problem, only the residents of two Midwestern states are expected to understand. :D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[attach]20436[/attach]

???????????
Attachments
maizenblue.jpg
maizenblue.jpg (262.12 KiB) Viewed 6653 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

I want to know your opinion on the PP upgrade in comparison to the older models. Great, good, ok.......
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Whose opinion are you seeking?

Here is mine: I think the PowerPro Upgrade is fantastic. Everyone who owns a Shopsmith should have one.

I don't but that is fodder for a different thread.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

pieceseeker wrote:I want to know your opinion on the PP upgrade in comparison to the older models. Great, good, ok.......
The PP strikes me as being a lot of trouble for a way too much money. Oh darn there goes my webinar invitation.
TheBigE
Gold Member

Post by TheBigE »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Hey Ed:
BTW, if you don't have a clue what I am talking about, no problem, only the residents of two Midwestern states are expected to understand. :D
Yes! We in Ohio do not like Michigan, and I'm sure the feeling is mutual :).

Any who, I do not have this edition of PTWFE, I have the next or 80s edition. The plans for this guard are not in that book or on the online version :(. Anybody got a scanned copy by chance?

-Erich-
1986 Mark V 500, SS Bandsaw, SS Belt Sander, Shaper Package, SS Molder, SS Oscillating Drum Sander, Excalibur EX-II scrollsaw, Central Machine 6 1/8" Jointer, Rigid 13" planer, Various routers and table.

"Remeber, you're unique. Just like everyone else."
allsas
Gold Member

You can still make them !! Oct 2011

Post by allsas »

These were made from a Forum posted handmade drawing....
The side shields are 9 1/8" diameter. I laid the four 3/4" x 1/2" x 4" shield spacers flat and bolstered the corners with eight 3/4" x 1/2" x 3/4" blocks. The grinding wheel did not contact the blocks and the middle has an extra 1/2" clearance for the grinding wheel. The mouth of the shield was large enough for an estimated 7 1/2 " diameter grinding wheel. The one that I kept used corrugated tin can (2) for the shield. The other two used roofing flashing with brown coating.

The driving advantage for using a grinding wheel on the SS is the low 700 rpm speed. .!.

You might have to search the Forum Archive for the Drawing....a quick search didn't show anything that looked familiar.

[ATTACH]20453[/ATTACH]
Attachments
50621698.JPG
50621698.JPG (178.4 KiB) Viewed 6596 times
MK V 520; MK V 510 w/PP DIY Upgrade; MK 5 500; Jointer; Bandsaw; Sliding Table; Conical Sanding Disk; Sharpening Guide, Lathe Duplicator, Jigsaw, Scrollsaw, Beltsander, Ring Master, Biscuit Joiner.
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

TheBigE wrote:Yes! We in Ohio do not like Michigan, and I'm sure the feeling is mutual :).

Any who, I do not have this edition of PTWFE, I have the next or 80s edition. The plans for this guard are not in that book or on the online version :(. Anybody got a scanned copy by chance?

-Erich-

I have two copies of Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone, each a different version. I'm almost positive one of them has it. I'll scan it later tonight if I can. Worst case I'll have it up tomorrow.
hb2
Gold Member

Post by hb2 »

I know I will be chastised for this remark, but so be it. My job is Chief Engineer at a company that designs and manufactures hand held pneumatic power tools. I deal with guard designs frequently, I have attended meetings for updating ANSI B7.1 which deals with the Safety Requirements for the Use, Care and Protection of Abrasive Wheels. The pictured guard is pretty, but its value as a guard is not worth the can it was made from. It is false security.
Even with proper designed guards injuries can occur because you have to have exposed wheel, but is downright foolish to use a home made guard. For wire wheels - go for it, but do not use them for abrasive wheels. Buy a reputable grinder and be done with it.
Powertools for woodworking definitely has it wrong promoting such a design.
Frank