Misnaming of woodworking machines

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

Misnaming of woodworking machines

Post by heathicus »

I see people refer to woodworking machines by "wrong" names frequently, but especially it seems on Craig's List. And I can't help but wonder why? I'm assuming it's a phonetic spelling of a mis-pronunciation, but it just seems so obvious that it's wrong - to me any way.

The two most frequent examples are:

lay - instead of lathe
ban saw - instead of band saw

And then there's the instances of a jointer being referred to as a planer. But I can understand that one since a jointer is called a planer in the UK and other countries, and the name can be traced back to the "jointer plane" hand plane. So it doesn't bug me near as much as "lay" and "ban saw."
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

heathicus wrote:I see people refer to woodworking machines by "wrong" names frequently, but especially it seems on Craig's List. And I can't help but wonder why? I'm assuming it's a phonetic spelling of a mis-pronunciation, but it just seems so obvious that it's wrong - to me any way.

The two most frequent examples are:

lay - instead of lathe
ban saw - instead of band saw

And then there's the instances of a jointer being referred to as a planer. But I can understand that one since a jointer is called a planer in the UK and other countries, and the name can be traced back to the "jointer plane" hand plane. So it doesn't bug me near as much as "lay" and "ban saw."
They do that with everything. Half the population that uses Craigslist where I live can barely read and they are spelling it phonetically. They don't just type "ban saw" that's the way they say it too. That's what rednecks do. I happen to like it because after the first day it falls off the first page and no body is going to find their ad in search, so you can scoop it up cheap.

I noticed this one last night too, and thought you might like it. I was real close to telling her Black & Decker "thingies" only go for a third of that.
http://springfield.craigslist.org/tld/3585044264.html
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

I don't think it's just wordworking terms. It's because as a society we are de-evolving. Have you seen the movie idiocracy? It's an accurate glimpse of our future :)

We have dumbed down our education system so much. Did you know that to get an average SAT score, you only to answer half the questions right....

Similar things that idiots type/say:

Your instead of you're
There instead of their
Could care less instead of couldn't care less

Then there is the mother of all stupid expressions..."my bad"
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

joshh wrote:I don't think it's just wordworking terms. It's because as a society we are de-evolving. Have you seen the movie idiocracy? It's an accurate glimpse of our future :)

We have dumbed down our education system so much. Did you know that to get an average SAT score, you only to answer half the questions right....

Similar things that idiots type/say:

Your instead of you're
There instead of their
Could care less instead of couldn't care less

Then there is the mother of all stupid expressions..."my bad"
Grammar is one thing, especially if its using the wrong homonym in written text. Not knowing the correct noun, written or spoken, is a whole different animal.

I see "joiner" instead of "jointer" more often than I see it referred to as a planer.

It goes beyond woodworking machines. It's pretty common with mechanics tools and older vehicles. I've bought motorcycles that didn't remotely exist, just have to look at the pictures and figure out what it really is. Last bike I bought said "Kawasaki Vetra" and scooped it up 2 hours after it listed. It was actually a KZ1000 with a Vetter fairing (which he read the logo and still couldn't spell right) and was worth about 4x what I paid.
kenbu
Gold Member

Post by kenbu »

More, just to fan the flames :)

Draw instead of drawer
Preventative instead of preventive
Castor instead of caster
Wench instead of winch
I seen instead of I saw
Plural/possessive confusion

When they started calling grammar school middle school, they stopped teaching grammar (and spelling)
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

I had an English teacher who had the following rules:

Using either "get" or "got" in an assignment is an automatic zero on the assignment.
Misuse of your/you're, there/their, etc was 30 points off.

They wouldn't let any teacher do this now.

Example: Highland Park (super rich, old money part of Dallas) High School requires that any teacher giving a C or lower average must meet with the student/parents/administration to explain everything the teacher did to prevent the student from getting that low grade :eek:

Guess what...everyone gets a B or higher. The teachers don't want to deal with it and give free grades.

The student learns nothing, goes to SMU (pretty much guaranteed admission for Highland Park students because of their money) and SMU gives them a degree without earning it.
They graduate and are hired by Daddy and friends.
They get an assistant that does EVERYTHING for them (including their job). They are paid millions per year for their lack of knowledge, skills, and work ethic.

Ah, the American dream :rolleyes:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I do not believe that we should enter into an editorial session on the written works of one another.

We represent many different age groups, many different educational levels and many different parts of the country (world) and a few different languages.

I drink pop when you likely drink soda. I eat taters when you probably eat potatoes. I have a jointer but I know people who have joiners (used to do joinery).

We do have a couple teachers here on the forum, however, who just might volunteer to mark up some of our writings. A request to do so is probably all that would be needed.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I have a Bachelor's degree in English, but I know better than to be a "Grammar Nazi" as I catch myself making mistakes with your/you're and their/they're and such from time to time. But it comes from not paying attention rather than not knowing the difference.

And I love regional slang. I don't drink soda or pop. I drink a coke. What kind of coke? Usually Sprite, but sometimes Dr. Pepper.

But I hate shorthand like "u" instead of "you" and "ur" instead of "your/you're".
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

heathicus wrote:I have a Bachelor's degree in English, but I know better than to be a "Grammar Nazi" as I catch myself making mistakes with your/you're and their/they're and such from time to time. But it comes from not paying attention rather than not knowing the difference.
I usually won't call anyone out for using bad grammar, I was more stating a pet peeve of mine.
heathicus wrote:And I love regional slang. I don't drink soda or pop. I drink a coke. What kind of coke? Usually Sprite, but sometimes Dr. Pepper.
Ah, you must live in the south :)
heathicus wrote:But I hate shorthand like "u" instead of "you" and "ur" instead of "your/you're".
Ya, I no get it wen peeps abb stuff 2 save 2 keystrokes. Seriously though, I agree completely.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

dusty wrote:I do not believe that we should enter into an editorial session on the written works of one another.

We represent many different age groups, many different educational levels and many different parts of the country (world) and a few different languages.

I drink pop when you likely drink soda. I eat taters when you probably eat potatoes. I have a jointer but I know people who have joiners (used to do joinery).

We do have a couple teachers here on the forum, however, who just might volunteer to mark up some of our writings. A request to do so is probably all that would be needed.
Hi Dusty-

As tempting as it is to take the bait, I'm going to pass on this offer. I have enough headaches dealing with grammar in the classroom, not to mention those things children should have learned at home in the first place.
BPR