Quill trouble

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jjbraun50
Silver Member

Quill trouble

Post by jjbraun50 »

Model 500, quill turns out fairly freely, but does not "snap" back as shown on Rick Davis' DVD on Maintenance & Alignment. I've taken the quill out, cleaned and waxed it. Even with the quill out, the spring seems unresponsive, in that it will retract on it's own, but v-e-r-y slowly. It does feel like the spring may be dirty or the handle shaft needs to be cleaned and lubed. Is that a difficult task? If not, how is it done?
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

jjbraun50 wrote:Model 500, quill turns out fairly freely, but does not "snap" back as shown on Rick Davis' DVD on Maintenance & Alignment. I've taken the quill out, cleaned and waxed it. Even with the quill out, the spring seems unresponsive, in that it will retract on it's own, but v-e-r-y slowly. It does feel like the spring may be dirty or the handle shaft needs to be cleaned and lubed. Is that a difficult task? If not, how is it done?
Is the spring tight, Nick posted a video on removing the quill and adjusting the spring.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
jjbraun50
Silver Member

quill trouble

Post by jjbraun50 »

paulmcohen wrote:Is the spring tight, Nick posted a video on removing the quill and adjusting the spring.
Thanks for the quick response. While waiting for a reply after I posted my original message, I went out and messed with it again. Seems all that it needed was a little lube where the pinion goes through the front housing. Works as advertised now. BTW, the bushing that through which the pinion shaft goes, is it supposed to be tight or loose?
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

jjbraun50 wrote: BTW, the bushing that through which the pinion shaft goes, is it supposed to be tight or loose?

Not sure what you are asking there are two different model Quills, a one bearing or a newer two bearing. If I remove mine the shaft spins easily. Nick's video also test how to tell them apart.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC