Do I belong to a Shopsmith?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Cavediver
Gold Member

Do I belong to a Shopsmith?

Post by Cavediver »

Please help. I'm lost and don't know where I belong. My owner found me in a box with a bunch of 10E parts, but I don't know if they're my family or not. If you know where I belong, please tell me!

Thank you,
Rusty
Attachments
IMG_5256.JPG
IMG_5256.JPG (114.63 KiB) Viewed 932 times
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Cavediver wrote:Please help. I'm lost and don't know where I belong. My owner found me in a box with a bunch of 10E parts, but I don't know if they're my family or not. If you know where I belong, please tell me!

Thank you,
Rusty
That is the original 10E table riser - this was available as an accessory and then they switched over to the more typical table riser that 10ERs have. I need one for one of my 10E if you are interested in selling it (or trading for other 10E/10ER parts) - send me a PM if so. I presume the newer version is the preferred design (since this is what they switched to and what everyone has) but I'm a stickler for restoring my 10E's with the original 10E stuff, however illogical that sometimes is.

Here's a couple photos of what it should look like cleaned up, as well as the original manual:

'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

They also be somewhat rare.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Cavediver
Gold Member

Post by Cavediver »

Well I'll be darned. My initial guess was that it belonged to the table assembly, but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. After looking around for it and only finding images of the later screw-type setup, I started figuring it belonged to another machine and got tossed in my box by mistake.

The funny part is that I was about a day away from ordering one of the later versions, figuring they're reasonably cheap and it wouldn't hurt to have it :D

dgale, I'm not sure what the ultimate plan is for this machine. Right now it's a lathe and it's not getting a facelift, but that's probably going to change somewhere down the road. I will, however, put your name in with the paperwork, and if I decide to sell it off I'll give you first crack at it.

Thanks guys!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Can I have 'crack 2'?:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Cavediver
Gold Member

Post by Cavediver »

You certainly can.

It's likely I'll keep it with the machine, but I'll get in touch if I change my mind.
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Cavediver wrote:You certainly can.

It's likely I'll keep it with the machine, but I'll get in touch if I change my mind.
Soak it in some evaporust and it should clean up nicely
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dgale wrote:Soak it in some evaporust and it should clean up nicely
Remove the aluminum knobs first!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I'm interested in how this performs compared to the more common and traditional table raising crank. I was under the impression this was more for "micro" type adjustments. Sort of the 10E/ER version of this: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... collar.htm
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
Cavediver
Gold Member

Post by Cavediver »

I don't have one of those to compare to, so the best I can do is measure the amount of travel per revolution of the adjustment knob. I'd hazard a guess that the newer version is faster with less control, but it's just that: a guess.

Regarding the mechanism I have: what are the two ears with bolts for? Adjusting the angle of the extension bar? Also, any chance someone knows the thread pattern for the mounting bolt?