Today in the shop (scraps to pens)

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in the shop (scraps to pens)

Post by reible »

First I'm sorry but there are no pictures in this post.

It seems that I'll never be done making pens. I've had more requests so I decided to get started on another dozen. Well better make that just 10 cause that is all the pen hardware I have on hand.

My scrap bin had some walnut, maple, pine, hickory.... The hickory was a little on the small size but I've decided to give it a try anyway. I've never tried to turn hickory but I'm guess it can be done cause I've seen things made from it.

So while getting this batch ready I ripped it to size (or almost size with the hickory), cut to length, cut it in to pen size parts, drilled it, made it 8-sided with the bandsaw. The tubes are in and setting up for more work tomorrow.

I'm a little worried about the hickory so I'm wondering if anyone here has turned pens out of it?? I had just enough for the parts I need and can't do a test run. Anyone, anyone at all?

BTW carbide tools will be used.

A secondary question, can you buy pens supples in places like craft stores or would I need to go to a place like Rockler(about 2-1/2 hours there and back). I've only gone with online orders before.

Ed
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

reible wrote:First I'm sorry but there are no pictures in this post.

It seems that I'll never be done making pens. I've had more requests so I decided to get started on another dozen. Well better make that just 10 cause that is all the pen hardware I have on hand.

My scrap bin had some walnut, maple, pine, hickory.... The hickory was a little on the small size but I've decided to give it a try anyway. I've never tried to turn hickory but I'm guess it can be done cause I've seen things made from it.

So while getting this batch ready I ripped it to size (or almost size with the hickory), cut to length, cut it in to pen size parts, drilled it, made it 8-sided with the bandsaw. The tubes are in and setting up for more work tomorrow.

I'm a little worried about the hickory so I'm wondering if anyone here has turned pens out of it?? I had just enough for the parts I need and can't do a test run. Anyone, anyone at all?

BTW carbide tools will be used.

A secondary question, can you buy pens supples in places like craft stores or would I need to go to a place like Rockler(about 2-1/2 hours there and back). I've only gone with online orders before.

Ed
Being Tennessee born, bred, and raised, Andrew Jackson immediately came to mind. "Old Hickory". Seventh President of the United States of America. The name was bestowed upon him by his soldiers, for being "as tough as old hickory".

A verse from The Battle of 1814: Old Hickory said we could take 'em by surprise, if we didn't fire a musket 'til we looked 'em in the eyes ...

Good luck! :)

Heritage notwithstanding, I do believe that carbide is tougher than even the oldest and gnarliest of hickory wood. :cool:
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Ed, no personal history with hickory, (except for smoking meat with it) but handles have been made for centuries, using hickory. Either it is OK to work, or it's durability is just so much better than any other wood, that it is worth the trouble.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Ed- Looks like hickory turns nicely for this guy:

http://www.fitzpatrickpens.com/shop/cla ... ickory-pen

I checked Michaels, Joanns, and Hobby Lobby's web sites and it looks like they do not carry pen kits. The only stores I've seen them in is Woodcraft and Rockler. Sorry, looks like online may be your best bet if you're in a hurry.

Gary
kearneysatx
Silver Member

Pen Supplies

Post by kearneysatx »

Ed - I get all of my pen supplies from Penn State Industries.

check out their site- http://www.pennstateind.com/
drl
Gold Member

Post by drl »

Another on-line location for pens is: http://www.woodturningz.com/Pen_Kits.html

They have a number of the same pens, but not all, as Penn State at a reduced price along with some unique pens of their own. Also have nice acrylic and wood blanks. They ship priority mail and you'll get your order in just a few days.

Can't help you with the hicory but I know it can be turned. Sharp tools, easy cuts, enough speed and of course, sandpaper.
Regards,
Dwight
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I've turned hickory. Turns well, but be sure the tools are sharp. Similar to oak, but slightly tighter grain. I pulled up an old outdoor threshold from a door we were closing in. Had been painter silver (?). Threw it threw the table saw and it made some great pen blanks. Have fun!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I remember learning my history from songs sung by Johnny Horton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dm4ypxpvB8

Could it be you did the same thing?

Ed
BuckeyeDennis wrote:Being Tennessee born, bred, and raised, Andrew Jackson immediately came to mind. "Old Hickory". Seventh President of the United States of America. The name was bestowed upon him by his soldiers, for being "as tough as old hickory".

A verse from The Battle of 1814: Old Hickory said we could take 'em by surprise, if we didn't fire a musket 'til we looked 'em in the eyes ...

Good luck! :)

Heritage notwithstanding, I do believe that carbide is tougher than even the oldest and gnarliest of hickory wood. :cool:
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Thanks for the sugjestions on where to get pen kits, I was thing along the lines of possible stores in my area that might sell them. Don't want to take the long drive to Rockler just for a few pen kits but that would appear to be my best bet locally. I think I stick to on-line ordering unless I have something else I need to get from the store.

I order the kits on-line from craftsupply and will try and get an order in today, should be here in time to match my needs. I can turn the wood and then just assemble when the parts arrive.

Blanks are ready to turn but I have lunch and a Dr. appointment so it will have to wait until that's over. I'll try to get a couple done yet today and see how it works out.

Ed
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

reible wrote:I remember learning my history from songs sung by Johnny Horton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dm4ypxpvB8

Could it be you did the same thing?

Ed
Yep, that's the song! :)

In the early 60's, my dad had a business supplying jukeboxes, pinball machines, and cigarette machines to local restaurants and honky-tonks. A lot of the older 45-RPM records found their way to our house, where I could play them on the "HiFi" as a kid. That song one was one of my favorites.