Children in the shop

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Children in the shop

Post by ryanbp01 »

I have been thinking lately about when would be a good time to introduce my grandson to woodworking. At what point would be the best time to do this? For the record, he is going to be 3 in April.
BPR
ibskot
Gold Member

Post by ibskot »

My son was drilling holes with an egg beater drill before he turned 2.
SS Mark V (1983 from Grandfather) upgraded to a 510, pieces to make a 500 mini, SS bandsaw, belt sander, broken scroll saw, and strip sander, Jet VS Mini Lathe, and tons of Lee Valley and vintage Stanley planes. Woodcraft slow speed grinder and a German made Tormek wannabe. Ridgid TS 3650 Table Saw, General 80-075LM Jointer.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

ryanbp01 wrote:I have been thinking lately about when would be a good time to introduce my grandson to woodworking. At what point would be the best time to do this? For the record, he is going to be 3 in April.
BPR

BETTER ASK his MOTHER. :D
WHAT were ya thinking of starting him with?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
newportcycle
Gold Member

Post by newportcycle »

I started my grandchilderen when they were 7 and 5. They didnt like the noise of the power tools very scary to them, so I cut the parts when they werent around and just worked with them on assembly. Our first projects were gluing up the seats for our strip canoe, then they went on later that year to make cutting boards for their grandmother and parents for x-mas. I also had them help from time to time on a cedar strip canoe. My grandaughter, the oldest, liked to run the orbital sander, but her brother was still skittish. As they are getting older they are now asking for me to come up with other projects, probably paddles this winter.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Make SURE ya provide HEARING PROTECTION for them.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
e.friedl
Gold Member

junior size safety equipment

Post by e.friedl »

Hearing and eye protection for the little guys. Who knows of sources for mini size equipment. My grandson is 6 and I don't know where to get him equipment.
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

I was given some tools when I was small.
Coping and keyhole saws a hand drill a block plane a hammer is all I remember
when I was in first grade I think because we still had the chicken coop / wood shop
so it was before second grade that's when it was gone.
I don't recall what training I got but my dad did give some instruction.
I was also allowed to use the jigsaw with supervision.
I do remember it was fun.

I think making a Mothers day.... Christmas or Birthday present would be a nice start
If I had kids I wanted to get interested in woodworking.
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

e.friedl wrote:Hearing and eye protection for the little guys. Who knows of sources for mini size equipment. My grandson is 6 and I don't know where to get him equipment.
Lee Valley has Child's Safety Goggles , I got a pair for my grand daughter (age 4) and they fit well.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Children in the shop

Post by dusty »

I believe that the days when you have children n the shop will be some of your most cherished days; some of your fondest memories.

However, the activities that occur in the shop on those days must be tailored to the age and capabilities of those children. Some tools must be put away while other tools are disabled. Common sense must prevail.

It would probably be a good idea to have both parents there on those days.:rolleyes: Doing so might save on later explanations.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.