Today in the shop (I don't know what to call it??)

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in the shop (I don't know what to call it??)

Post by reible »

Perhaps you can come up with a good name for this?

Lets start by looking at it.
IMG_7574sc.jpg
IMG_7574sc.jpg (157.77 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
That is it mounted above the headstock.

Maybe it we looked at it from the other side?
IMG_7575sc.jpg
IMG_7575sc.jpg (140.34 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
Maybe if I take it off?
IMG_7577sc.jpg
IMG_7577sc.jpg (146.49 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
Got a name yet?

And by the way it can mount below the headstock like here
IMG_7578sc.jpg
IMG_7578sc.jpg (136.9 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
OK now lets add something useful to it.
IMG_7579sc.jpg
IMG_7579sc.jpg (117.3 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
Wonder how much one dares to put in such a tray? Would you say 5 pounds might be good load? Let's give it a try.
IMG_7581sc.jpg
IMG_7581sc.jpg (103.38 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
No problem at all. So lets go to 10 pounds, can't imagine putting that much weight but why not try.
IMG_7582sc.jpg
IMG_7582sc.jpg (104.02 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
Again no problem. I'm stopping at this point as I don't think I would ever put even 10 pounds in it.

The back of the tray is of course a group of magnets.
IMG_7586sc.jpg
IMG_7586sc.jpg (150.22 KiB) Viewed 4162 times

So I'm thinking maybe I could call it a MAP, magnetic attachment point, how does that sound?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Today in the shop (I don't know what to call it??)

Post by reible »

I was thinking that I could make use of this for other then drilling operations but so far that is about as far as I've gotten on that thinking. I do have a tray in red that I have mounted on a board in the same way. I keep odds and ends of shopsmith gear and measuring and what not in it. I could add a second mounting position and exchange or store the other tray(s) like this.
IMG_7592sc.jpg
IMG_7592sc.jpg (144.68 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
IMG_7590sc.jpg
IMG_7590sc.jpg (120.13 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
Ed
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

For the first one's name. How about Auxiliary Waytube tool tray?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

MAP sounds good!

Now where did those trays come from? :)

I have a steel cabinet that would provide room for many!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I humbly submit, for your consideration, the appellation "Universal Tool Bracket". (Only 66.6% plagiaristic. :D)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BTW, what are the four screws cross the bottom for?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I found the trays at both Menard's and Harbor Freight, I think the black was at Menard's and the red at Harbor Freight.

The four screws or something similar are used to even the playing field so to speak. The tray is designed to stick to a flat surface, the way I'm using it is to stick it on a metal strap which means the bottom is floating and when weight is applied it tips in and the magnets pull loose at the top and down it goes. The screws are not an optimal solution but I used what I had for now. When I got back to the hardware store I'll get another metal strip and that will be that, or not. As I have show it can hold a 10 pound weight so something must be working right.

Ed
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Ed, you know that we are all looking at the background of these pictures more than the foreground... :) :) :)
I am struck by how clean the stuff looks even though it is "stacked to the rafters".
It is always good to see others with the same universal woodshop problem, too much stuff that has to be filed under the heading of "Miscellaneous"... :rolleyes: :D
The shoe repair shops I owned for over 20 years had the same problem. The hand tools and machinery was not much of a problem. It was the thousands of peripheral items that were the problem. Stuff like snaps, rivets, zippers and zipper parts along with hundreds of different nails and tacks. There were hundreds of different colors and kinds of threads along with all manner of machine and hand needles and awls. The list could go on to the middle of next week... :rolleyes:
The farm shop is just as bad. I have it "fairly well" divided into sub-shops like the main "mechanics" shop, the tire & battery shop, the welding & blacksmithing shop, the machining shop, sheet metal shop, the carpentry shop (separate from the regular woodshop)... There are also smaller groupings like plumbing and electrical etc. But then there are all of those thousands of support items for each grouping... Each "trade" has its own large set of "supplies" that serves it but which can also over-lap with others.
No wonder I'm nuts... :o :rolleyes: :eek: :D

I'll have to look for those shelves the next time I am Menard's or HF. I can think of a couple of uses.
I have a golf cart I'm working on parked in the farm shop and about a week ago I had to get an extra pickup truck with a hard to find intermittent problem running when my regular truck regurgitated its transmission. I got it to run badly but enough to drive it into the shop. As I was working I need a "flat spot" to lay tools etc. I looked around and grabbed a 4' long 10" wide shelf board and "C" clamped it the the bag holder on the back of the golf cart. It served me very well. :cool: Any port in a storm...
We are now driving the extra truck and the motorhome. The regular truck is waiting for me to give it a $$$ transfusion.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
RodJ
Gold Member

Post by RodJ »

I'm kind of new here, but in honor of the magnets, I'll submit "Bipolar Attachment Tool Tray". BAT Tray for short.

I could see variations of that for holding stuff in the horizontal position, too. You're posts are always very interesting.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I forgot suggest a name...
How about "magnetic shelf"? :D
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill