Circular saw blade holder

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Alan D
Gold Member

Circular saw blade holder

Post by Alan D »

I was looking for ideas as to how to best store circular saw blades and stumbled across this holder:

http://toolmonger.com/2007/01/09/finds- ... de-holder/

It looks professional, holds 5 blades and can be hund on a pegboard. Thought I would pass along. Seems a bargain for under $7

Alan
Woodinville, WA
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I only own 1 circular saw blade and it is stored on the saw. This thing holds 7 1/4" blades too small for the Shopsmith.;)
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
brown_hawk
Gold Member

Post by brown_hawk »

It wouldn't be that hard to build one for 10" blades.

I have three and keep them on arbors.

HAwk
Dayton OH and loving it! :D (Except they closed the store.:( )
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

brown_hawk wrote:It wouldn't be that hard to build one for 10" blades.

I have three and keep them on arbors.

HAwk

I have 5 blades for the Shopsmith plus a dado blade, the normal blades are all permanently on arbors. I store them on angled 5/8" dowel pegs on the inside of cabinet doors. I have thought about something more comtact but it would take up more room then what I have done.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
brown_hawk
Gold Member

Post by brown_hawk »

I haven't found a better way either.

But a one minute blade change between rip, crosscut, plywood is another advantage of the SS over a regular table Saw.

Oh, well. Into each life some rain must fall. I'll take the storage problem over the blade change problem any day:D

Hawk
Dayton OH and loving it! :D (Except they closed the store.:( )
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I store my blades with attached arbors. I switch often from high tooth count SS plywood blade, and 80 tooth thin kerf blade, a 24 tooth framing blade, depending on the material being cut. I still have a bottle storage cabinet from my pharmacy, it has an angled divided draw which works well for blade and guard storage. The quick blade change without the normal cuts from loosening the blade bolt is a definate plus for SS. For the work I like to do, intrasia, I can square up ply for the suport, then switch blades and size up some pieces for later scrolling. The framing blade will come in handy this weekend, when I promised to make a redwood gate for my daughter's house.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
gsimbu
Silver Member

Blade locker

Post by gsimbu »

I am in the process of redesigning a tablesaw blade locker that i spotted in Wood magazine, (Issue 183, May 2008). It features pull out hangers for individual unmounted saw blades. I am adapting the design to hold either mounted or unmounted blades. It seems compact and there is room on each hanger to mount lables for each blade. They have designed it to mount on a wall, but I beleive I will hang it below my workbench. If I like it when it is done and I have used it for a while, I will try one out for my sanding disks (3) along with storage for unmounted papers of various grits.

Has anyone done anything like this? It looks good, but if there have been bad experiences with this type of storage I would appreciate the feedback.
Attachments
tablesaw blade locker.gif
tablesaw blade locker.gif (39.72 KiB) Viewed 16210 times
Gary
rdewinter
Gold Member

Blade storage

Post by rdewinter »

I have a way to easy 10" blade storage that can accommodate two blades with arbor attached. Look at the pics below. Very simple and inexpensive to build. I used a 2x4 as the stock. I cut 5 (or as many as you want) identical 10" pieces and face glued them together. When dry ran the glue up thru my delta portable planer and finish sanded the piece smooth. With the piece on top of my ss saw table, I simply raised the blade into the piece to create saw kerfs deep enough to hold the blades.

For my dado blade storage, I built a box with a scrap piece glued inside the box. Drilled a hole large enough to hold the dado blade with arbor attached. See pic below.

Simple, inexpensive and works well.

Bob
San Diego
Attachments
blade caddy.jpg
blade caddy.jpg (79.29 KiB) Viewed 16238 times
10" blade storage.jpg
10" blade storage.jpg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 16228 times
dado storage.jpg
dado storage.jpg (99.11 KiB) Viewed 16221 times
wgander
Gold Member

blade storage

Post by wgander »

I started thinking about blade storage a week ago. After reading the Forum, I decided to finish this prototype today.
I have to decide where and how to mount it before I build another.
This one stores four blades; I may design one that will also store two sanding disks. Note that the arbor slots are offset so the arbors clear each other, reducing the maximum overall required width. On the next one, I will cut the slots just large enough for the flat of the arbor, about 1 ¼”: At 2 1/4”, these slots offer little stability and no support. I’m also undecided about the height of the spacers and may reduce them to the height of the largest blade (10” diameter).
I keep my dado blades in the original plastic box.
greitz
Gold Member

SS blade and sanding disk storage

Post by greitz »

This is my horizontal storage solution: three blades with arbors on the bottom, two flat disks in the middle, and two conical disks on top. Plus room to store extra sanding disks, etc. Hint, if you use something better than wimpy 3/8 ply for the shelves, you wouldn't need the spacers to keep the shelves from sagging.

Gary
Attachments
blade storage 1.jpg
blade storage 1.jpg (98.95 KiB) Viewed 16198 times