Used Pro Planer questions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

donpol
Gold Member

Used Pro Planer questions

Post by donpol »

I just bought a used freestanding Pro Planer (not the MKV mounted model). I'm thinking of using it to replace my current planer. My current planer is a Dewalt 733, one of the so-called "lunchbox" style planers. Based on pricing alone I believe the Shopsmith planer is better than the Dewalt. I've never used a Shopsmith planer so I'm not really familiar with them. I'm hoping someone here familiar with the Shopsmith planer can tell me if it's better than the lunchbox style planers, and why.

Second, if I keep the Shopsmith, is it worth getting the knife sharpening jigs? I have a MarkV and a 10ER, I believe I would also need a conical sanding disc to sharpen.

Last, it appears that the the planer table is not cast iron. A magnet will not stick; it looks like it's cast aluminum underneath with a layer of polished stainless steel on top. It also appears as though the table is not parallel with the cutterhead. The manual states this may be caused by the posts not being in sync, but can be corrected by removing the chain that runs from post to post. Has anyone made this adjustment, and is it difficult?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Used Pro Planer questions

Post by JPG »

donpol wrote:I just bought a used freestanding Pro Planer (not the MKV mounted model). I'm thinking of using it to replace my current planer. My current planer is a Dewalt 733, one of the so-called "lunchbox" style planers. Based on pricing alone I believe the Shopsmith planer is better than the Dewalt. I've never used a Shopsmith planer so I'm not really familiar with them. I'm hoping someone here familiar with the Shopsmith planer can tell me if it's better than the lunchbox style planers, and why.

Second, if I keep the Shopsmith, is it worth getting the knife sharpening jigs? I have a MarkV and a 10ER, I believe I would also need a conical sanding disc to sharpen.

Last, it appears that the the planer table is not cast iron. A magnet will not stick; it looks like it's cast aluminum underneath with a layer of polished stainless steel on top. It also appears as though the table is not parallel with the cutterhead. The manual states this may be caused by the posts not being in sync, but can be corrected by removing the chain that runs from post to post. Has anyone made this adjustment, and is it difficult?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
Difficult, no.

Potentially onerous, yes.

If the screws are not 'in sync', adjusting the height can be 'stickey'.

Verify the blades are not biased before tweaking the chain. Setting the chain is relative to the tie rods, not the blades.

A gauge(table top to tie rod) will be needed). Bill Mayo recommends a short gas engine valve.

Although the knife holding jig is preferable(it has some issues itself), a simple block of wood with a groove can suffice.

Although the conical disc reduces the potential of overheating the blade, a flat disc with biased fence can also work. Trick in both cases is controled, minimal material removal.

I have not seen the Cast Iron table, but are you sure the underside is aluminum? Does a magnet stick to that? Some stainless steels are 'non-magnetic'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

IMO, the conical sanding disk and the knife sharpening jig are worth their weight in gold. They do a wonderful job. It takes longer to remove and install the blades than it does to sharpen them.

I have never used a lunch box planer but have seen them. The SS is much more heavy duty with a solid one piece table. I bought my pro planer years ago before the advent of lunch box planers. I would never consider buying a lunch box planer for any reason.

As for the table. If it is a Pro Planer it will be cast iron. That is one of the things that makes the Pro Planer a Pro Planer. Also the feed rate range is different between the Pro Planer and the MK V mounted planer. The MK V mounted planer has a cast aluminum table. It sounds like what you have is a MK V mounted planer mounted on a power stand. SS does make a power stand fro just that purpose.

Another way to tell is look at the large label on the in feed shield. A MK V mount planer says "Shopsmith 12" Planer". The Pro Planer says "12" Professional Planer".

Either way you have a planer that will last you the rest of your life.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
donpol
Gold Member

Post by donpol »

jsburger,

I think you're exactly right, based on what you said it looks as though this is a MKV mounted planer that someone mounted on a shopsmith stand. From your reply it sounds like I still have a good quality planer.
Thank you
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I have the Dewalt 735 planer. Even though I like it, I wish the blades could be resharpened. I use the sharpening jig on jointer blades and it works well.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:IMO, the conical sanding disk and the knife sharpening jig are worth their weight in gold. They do a wonderful job. It takes longer to remove and install the blades than it does to sharpen them.

I have never used a lunch box planer but have seen them. The SS is much more heavy duty with a solid one piece table. I bought my pro planer years ago before the advent of lunch box planers. I would never consider buying a lunch box planer for any reason.

As for the table. If it is a Pro Planer it will be cast iron. That is one of the things that makes the Pro Planer a Pro Planer. Also the feed rate range is different between the Pro Planer and the MK V mounted planer. The MK V mounted planer has a cast aluminum table. It sounds like what you have is a MK V mounted planer mounted on a power stand. SS does make a power stand fro just that purpose.

Another way to tell is look at the large label on the in feed shield. A MK V mount planer says "Shopsmith 12" Planer". The Pro Planer says "12" Professional Planer".

Please elaborate. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:IMO, the conical sanding disk and the knife sharpening jig are worth their weight in gold. They do a wonderful job. It takes longer to remove and install the blades than it does to sharpen them.

Please elaborate. :)
From the catalog...
Attachments
Shopsmith_12_Planers_-_2015-09-05_12.17.52.jpg
Shopsmith_12_Planers_-_2015-09-05_12.17.52.jpg (100.55 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

donpol wrote:jsburger,

I think you're exactly right, based on what you said it looks as though this is a MKV mounted planer that someone mounted on a shopsmith stand. From your reply it sounds like I still have a good quality planer.
Thank you
One thing to check is the motor to make sure you have the right stand. The planer SPT stand has a 1 1/2 HP motor. All the other SPT stands have a 1/2 HP motor.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

The mounted one runs at 5700 (or any speed you want) on the PowerPro .... :D
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Here is a Sawdust Session on tuning the Shopsmith planer -

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... Tuneup.htm

Mike