Replacing 12" planer blades in shop smith ?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodmeister
Gold Member

Replacing 12" planer blades in shop smith ?

Post by woodmeister »

Hi I finally had to get my planner blades sharpened. I wonder if there is a sure way of replacing them without going bonkers? Any tips and or videos out there to help me?
Thanks,
Tom
Mike907
Platinum Member

Re: Replacing 12" planer blades in shop smith ?

Post by Mike907 »

Do you have the knife setting gauge?

Video here:

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... Knives.htm

Mike
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Nick Engler's method, using a dial indicator, works very well for me. He shows how in this video.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Shopsmith still sells the setting gauge. I bought one a couple of months ago for my "new" used planer.
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

Thanks for the responses. Dial indicator is the way to go just a lot of fooling around lol. Am wondering if I just put them back at the same height as it was since I did not move the leveling screws and try that? I will only take a few thousands off the blade when sharpening them.
Thanks again everyone who replied!!
Tom
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

woodmeister wrote:Thanks for the responses. Dial indicator is the way to go just a lot of fooling around lol. Am wondering if I just put them back at the same height as it was since I did not move the leveling screws and try that? I will only take a few thousands off the blade when sharpening them.
Tom
FWIW, the setting gauge that SS supplies is dead simple to use. There is no fooling around with it and it is more than accurate enough.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
woodmeister wrote:Thanks for the responses. Dial indicator is the way to go just a lot of fooling around lol. Am wondering if I just put them back at the same height as it was since I did not move the leveling screws and try that? I will only take a few thousands off the blade when sharpening them.
Tom
FWIW, the setting gauge that SS supplies is dead simple to use. There is no fooling around with it and it is more than accurate enough.
DITTO!!!

Besides the blades will not wear evenly(unless you always plane 12" boards). ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

Ok will try the gage too that came with it. I realize they may not wear evenly. I have them all sharpened to the same measurement so if I lay them in track to the bottom and snug them up it may work too as I did not loosen the screws to elevate it to get the blades out. I will incorporate everything you guys have suggested. Thanks again for the feedback.
Tom
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

woodmeister wrote:Ok will try the gage too that came with it. I realize they may not wear evenly. I have them all sharpened to the same measurement so if I lay them in track to the bottom and snug them up it may work too as I did not loosen the screws to elevate it to get the blades out. I will incorporate everything you guys have suggested. Thanks again for the feedback.
Tom
I meant wear across each blade.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
woodmeister wrote:Ok will try the gage too that came with it. I realize they may not wear evenly. I have them all sharpened to the same measurement so if I lay them in track to the bottom and snug them up it may work too as I did not loosen the screws to elevate it to get the blades out. I will incorporate everything you guys have suggested. Thanks again for the feedback.
Tom
I meant wear across each blade.
I certainly do not plane 12" wide stock all the time so the wear (actually sharpness) is not the same across the width of the blades. That is why I feed the narrower stock left and right all across the table to even out the wear. I don't just stick everything down the center. FWIW, I use mostly rough sawn stock so the planer gets a lot of use.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT