Free Standing SS Drill press

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Free Standing SS Drill press

Post by masonsailor2 »

I managed to get the drill press finished yesterday while waiting for the turkey. I acquired the 510 a couple of weeks ago expressly for this purpose. The frame is made of KD 2X4's from HD using grabbers and PL400.
Paul
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Re: Free Standing SS Drill press

Post by masonsailor2 »

Opps forgot the picks.
Attachments
DP1.jpg
DP1.jpg (279.38 KiB) Viewed 6689 times
DP2.jpg
DP2.jpg (266.32 KiB) Viewed 6689 times
DP3.jpg
DP3.jpg (193.41 KiB) Viewed 6689 times
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Nice!!!! Does the base get in the way of your feet?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Not so far. I purposely attached that crossmember with only screws and no glue until I use it for a while. My plan is to build a small two drawer unit to fit on the base.
Paul
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Nice work! I am considering a permanent wall mount SS drill press and I could adapt this design to try it out for a while. My SS drill press is a full size Shopsmith that has not left drill press mode since I brought it home a few years ago from a craigslist sale. I could reclaim a lot of floor space at the expense of being able to roll it around.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That a carriage/table stop on the way tubes???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

tomsalwasser wrote:Nice work! I am considering a permanent wall mount SS drill press and I could adapt this design to try it out for a while. My SS drill press is a full size Shopsmith that has not left drill press mode since I brought it home a few years ago from a craigslist sale. I could reclaim a lot of floor space at the expense of being able to roll it around.
If you build it like this you will get a lot of floor space back and still be able to roll it around.
Attachments
IMAG0236.jpg
IMAG0236.jpg (174.86 KiB) Viewed 6642 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Not a carriage stop JPG. That is a part of my indexing wheel that I just put there to store it.
Paul
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

jsburger wrote:If you build it like this you will get a lot of floor space back and still be able to roll it around.
Nice work John!

As ERLover mentioned, does the base ever get in the way of your feet? I may mount mine facing the other way. I'll probably need a little ballast on the bench tubes to keep it from tipping.

What length did you cut your bench tubes?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

tomsalwasser wrote:
jsburger wrote:If you build it like this you will get a lot of floor space back and still be able to roll it around.
Nice work John!

As ERLover mentioned, does the base ever get in the way of your feet? I may mount mine facing the other way. I'll probably need a little ballast on the bench tubes to keep it from tipping.

What length did you cut your bench tubes?
I did think about the base leg getting in the way but in practice it has never been a problem at all. The way I stand with the quill feed levers on the right my right foot is outside of the leg to the right and my left foot fits under the opening of the leg. It should be the same for a lefty. I have honestly never had to think about it from the very beginning of use.

The bench tubes are 18" long. They are the left over pieces from when I made my shorty. The bases castings are slid on the tubes as far as they will go (one end has a stop but the other end does not).

As far as mounting the other way, I think you will need a LOT of ballast. My shorty with the 18" cut off is a bit light on the back end. It can be used in DP mode with no problem but it doesn't take too much pressure on the front of the table to lift the back end off the ground. I would think that my DP with the head stock and table mounted in the conventional position might fall over on its own.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT