bandsaw

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scottss
Gold Member

bandsaw

Post by scottss »

Anybody use the carter stabilizer for shopsmith?
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Scot
I assume your talking about the ball bearing blade guides.
I haven't seen a set advertised as fitting on the SS.
I have been tempted to buy a set made for delta to see if I could fit them on the SS.

Right now I getting more excited about the new ceramic guides that are being sold. They say you set them and use them like the graphite guides but without the wear. But I haven't seen those for SS yet either.
Ed
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I checked their web site and saw no mention of Shopsmith guides. You'd think there's a big enough market for them to produce them. What are the cool blocks that SS sells? Are they ceramic?
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I don't have the shopsmith bandsaw but I do have the carter set for the bandsaw I have.

The saw I have is a craftsman made about 30+ years ago. It came with the metal guides and when the laminated graphite ones came out I went to those. Then when the ceramic ones came out I gave those a try and by the way they are not new.......

I had a friend who always bragged on the carter system and he got me interested but they are expensive, in fact the set cost more then the orginal bandsaw did by a few $$. I kept it in the back of my mind but at the time I put it off.

About 2 years ago I sprang for the set and now I'm sorry I waited so long. The noise level of the saw drops enough to noticed at power up and even while cutting. It was like having a new bandsaw! Most of the things I do involve scroll type cutting and once in a while resawing, the prefomance was most noticed on the scroll cutting.

The only negative on the set I have is they made no provision for replace the guard. I complained to them but well it fell on deaf ears so to speak. I designed my own and it turned out to be an easy job with just a piece of sheet stock.

The second item I have been looking at is the narrow blade add on that lets you use smaller blades..... basicly a wheel behind that is notched and no side wheels. I think the set I have limits you to 1/4" blades or above.

I have never used a shopsmith bandsaw so I can not say how much better or worse this would be on your system but I know it sure improved mine.

Ed
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Carter Stablizer works Great on Shopsmith Bandsaw

Post by paulmcohen »

scottss wrote:Anybody use the carter stabilizer for shopsmith?
I purchased a set on ebay and it works much better then "Cool Blocks". The installation instructions are TERRIBLE, and they don't work with very large blades.

I called Carter and the excellent service tech walked me throught installation, you really do need to remove a lot more parts then you think.
dusty
Platinum Member

Bandsaw (Carter Stabilizer)

Post by dusty »

What problem does the Carter Stabilizer resolve?
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I'm with Dusty on this, what problems do they resolve.
I wasn't aware they made a stabilizer as such. I thought everyone was talking about the ball bearing guides Carter makes for most Bandsaws. As of yet I haven't seen any for SS. The Stabliizers are limited to blades 1/4 inch or less and I guess if you use those blades a lot they would be okay.

Most of my bandsawing uses larger blades. I have found the graphite blade guides work well with both large and small so I wonder what the stabilizers do, do.
dusty
Platinum Member

Bandsaw (Carter Stabilizer)

Post by dusty »

Carter makes a stabilizer that they advertise to be for the Shopsmith but I am unable to determine why I might need one. It looks like just another bearing that mounts behind the blade. If one has their bandsaw adjusted correctly, I am at a loss to see what it might do to improve performance.

http://www.carterproducts.com/product.a ... &cat_id=14

Those of you who are using one are the only ones who will be able to answer this?
dickroan
Silver Member

Bandsaw

Post by dickroan »

What I believe this bandsaw guide is supposed to do, is stop the "drift" when sawing or ripping long pieces of wood. If you are not careful....as an example, you might start out to slice a half inch off of a 2 foot long piece of wood and by the time you are through the cut, end up with a 3/4 to 1" slice. Perhaps I am wrong, but this is what I think it is....In passing, there are ways to make sure this does not happen without spending $70.plus dollars for this thing....This might be the subject of a new string.....
:cool: