Teaching wood once a year

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Teaching wood once a year

Post by kalynzoo »

My latest project may not seem like much, but it gave me a glow of satisfaction. Each year I teach a day of woodworking to my a special education class (my daughter is the teacher). This year it was 19 Autistic children 5th and 6th grade. Class is from 8:30 to 2pm with an hour lunch and two 15 minute breaks. Set up takes days. This year we made cars. Previous projects included a bird house, and a basketball toy. Don't want students to make the same thing as they stay in her class for 2 or 3 school years. This project started as dried 2x4's cut into blanks on the SS, the formed on the bandsaw. Since I could not count on the students to set the wheels, I was glad the SS drill press was precise, and all the wheel holes were cut to depth. Students sanded the rough blanks with 80grit paper, then 150grit. We talked about the grain of the wood, what part of tree, and knots. We talked about how sanding brought out the grain. While sanding each student drilled the cockpit with a brace&bit. It was my grandfathers and still works, think he used it when he was on the crew building the Empire State Building. Then headlights and tail-lights using upholstery tacks. Paint, all by themselves, and then glue the wheels. At days end their sense of accomplishment was fantastic. All the cars ran down the ramp in front of the classroom. It was a great day. Just had to share. If you ever get a chance to work with a child. Say yes. Sincerely, Gary
[ATTACH]1474[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1475[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1476[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1477[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1480[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Special Ed Woodworking001.JPG
Special Ed Woodworking001.JPG (123 KiB) Viewed 7079 times
Special Ed Woodworking004.JPG
Special Ed Woodworking004.JPG (127.87 KiB) Viewed 7078 times
Special Ed Woodworking009.JPG
Special Ed Woodworking009.JPG (125.89 KiB) Viewed 7075 times
Special Ed Woodworking031.JPG
Special Ed Woodworking031.JPG (100.83 KiB) Viewed 7069 times
Special Ed Woodworking045.JPG
Special Ed Woodworking045.JPG (114.02 KiB) Viewed 7071 times
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
brown_hawk
Gold Member

Post by brown_hawk »

FANTASTIC GARY!!

The looks on their faces says it all. Some of my best times were teaching my Cub Scouts on the Scroll Saw.

Kudos to you and your daughter.

Hawk
Dayton OH and loving it! :D (Except they closed the store.:( )
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Gary

The pictures of those kids in your daughters class are worth 1000 words. My hats off to you and words can't express how you are appreciated for sharing your woodworking skills and time with these kids.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Gary - Here is a great big ATTA BOY!!!!

I'm positive the kids appreciated this time with you, and getting the feeling along with learnig a bit about wood. Maybe even as much as you did! Good for your Daughter too! Nice idea!

On a selfish note: I appreciate the full photos!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

kalynzoo wrote:...............At days end their sense of accomplishment was fantastic...........
I'll bet that feeling was felt by more then just the kids! Great job, Gary!Image Image
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
friscomike
Gold Member

Post by friscomike »

Gary,

Absolutely mahbelus. You warmed my heart with your photos. Making sawdust is indeed, great for all of us. Thanks for sharing the photos and your time.

Best Regards,
mike
...now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have sawdust to make... ;)
jbemis
Silver Member

Working with the next generation of carvers, wood workers

Post by jbemis »

Just AWESOME. And it makes you feel good, too!
old hardware, new user
SS3218, just rebuilding the table
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

God Bless You. What a wonderful way to give of yourself.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
backhertz
Platinum Member

Passing It On

Post by backhertz »

I believe it is incumbent upon each & every one of us with any knowledge of wood working, mechanics, electronics or any other skills to pass on to the youth of this country by starting with our own families & reaching out to our neighborhoods & schools. I learned my automotive mechanical knowledge by virtually living in the service station where full-time mechanics actually worked on cars. Service stations changed their service bays into aisles for last minute grocery items.

I've attended technical schools during the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2000. The schools today are nothing like they were years ago. I noticed in my last schools, many students lack personal experience or even military experience. I served a career in the Air Force. In the early 80's, the Air Force stopped teaching basic electronics to new technicians. These graduates don't even understand the basic operation of a transistor. The same thing has happened to the FAA Academy in order to permit people with administrative backgrounds to become higher pay-grade technicians.

Anyhow, I believe there is still hope. But it's gonna take an effort. Young minds are like dry sponges waiting to get swelled up with water, but the swimming pools of experience and practical knowledge are slowly drying up. We have to pass it on.
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

likewise, "Gary - Here is a great big ATTA BOY!!!!"., Bob
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector