Aloha! - used SS 510 - 2 questions...

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mauka
Gold Member

Aloha! - used SS 510 - 2 questions...

Post by mauka »

Aloha everyone and thanks in advance!

Purchased a used SS 510 that was donated to a local non-profit. It came with what I have and there is no way to contact the family about missing parts. Paid $500, which was the asking price and a fair one.

I think the SS is a fine tool and I purchased it to have fun restoring it and use the Jointer option that was included. I already have nearly all the power tools I need - but not all the ones I want! :)

No manuals but ShopSmith has them available for download, great service. I'll be giving the machine the once over before any use but have two questions.

1) How to I check if the speed control has been moved when not running and reset it to prevent any damage before I power on?

2) Dust Collector was included, but fan housing was damaged and duct taped. Any suggestions on repairing with fiberglass?
Last edited by mauka on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Aloha! - used SS 510 - 2 questions...

Post by JPG »

1) Nothing to 'reset'. Any damage would be physical(excessive wear). A visual inspection of the quadrant gear(porkchop) will reveal any damage. If the shafts turn by hand(some resistance will be felt if set above slow), it should be good to turn on.

2) We like pix. A pix of the taped housing will help to better understand it.

Welcome to the zoo!!!

Aloha! Which island?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mauka
Gold Member

Post by mauka »

Thanks for the reply - JPG!

On island of Oahu, windward side.

Photo of damage to Dust Control fan housing.

Appears to me the damage was external source, have not powered on as there are no waste bags.
IMG_6201.JPG
IMG_6201.JPG (273.01 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

If the dust collector were mine I would look at the impeller to see if there is more damage. According to SS the impeller is one of the 17 most requested repair parts. The hole indicates to me that something was picked by the system and forced between the impeller and the side of the housing. A broken impeller will create an imbalance and maybe a severe shake. So be careful when you turn it on. Move it to an outdoor area and try it without a bag. That material is some really tough stuff. Must have taken a LOT of force to break it.
Bill V
mauka
Gold Member

Post by mauka »

Good advice Bill - should be easy to disassemble. Nice of ShopSmith to make the manuals available online, and on paper.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That duct tape was used and apparently successfully implies the impeller is ok. Need to verify that.

Regardless some jb-weld may fix the missing chunk(I assume it is 'missing').
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mauka
Gold Member

Post by mauka »

Nothing rattling around and the missing piece wasn't in the box overlooked when I picked up the machine. Picked that box up this morning and got arbors, saw blades, table saw miter, and unused lathe components and tools. Still missing the drill chuck and manuals but I'm very pleased with my new tool, going to be fun!

Craiglist photo:
Listing Photo.JPG
Listing Photo.JPG (40.49 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Good looking machines.

Keakap where art thou? A fellow islander could use your help!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

So you got that all for 500 on the Big Island? Good buy!!! A jointer and Band Saw to boot, thats why a great buy. Enjoy!!! :D
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Sorry did my Geography not on the Big Island.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)