Traveling Academy

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Skizzity
Gold Member

Traveling Academy

Post by Skizzity »

So, just got an email to register for the upcoming Traveling Academy in Denver. Is it worth the $99? Would it be more in depth than a demo? I'm thinking yes cuz it's 7 hours of class!
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
rudy49
Silver Member

Re: Traveling Academy

Post by rudy49 »

I attended one last fall in Portland, Oregon. I found it worth the time and cost. I learned things about using and maintaining my machine, a Mark 7 that I not thought about. I also got to meet and talk with SS users and compare notes, couple of which live near me in Vancouver, WA.

You might want to come prepared because there will be an opportunity to purchase a number of items at 10% to 15% off at the end of the seminar. While not required, if there are any items that you've been thinking about, or wishing, to get from SS, this would be a good time.

Larry
Skizzity
Gold Member

Post by Skizzity »

Thank you for the input, Larry. I will make my mind up by the end of the day. Hopefully a spot will still be open.
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

The academy classes used to run for three days. The lathe class was one day long. One year I took the lathe class in Harrisburg for $35 for the day. (SS owners got a extra discount). About 6 months later the academy came back and I told my wife I wanted to go to the lathe class. Her response was "didn't you take it a few months ago?" and I said "yes" but this time it is a different instructor.
Moral: Go to the event any time it is offered. Different instructors have different slants on things and you will always learn something.
I also took the basic machine Mk 5 instruction and it was well worth the cost after the first hour.
Bill V
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Is this the way the Academy Classes are taught NOW. I don't think so. I understand it to be a 1 day session and presented by no one other than Mike Young.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Back when I got my machine they had a bonus offer of the 3-day class for free. It was a great introduction to the shopsmith and while I was already a wood worker it was nice to learn some shopsmith specific information too. Everyone in the class was a new owner, well with in a few months of being a new owner so I think the class was geared that way.

Since we are not even seeing demos in our area I don't expect that they will have class close either. I guess 25 or maybe even 50 miles away would be OK but that is about it for me.

It would be nice to see the discounts.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Skizzity
Gold Member

Post by Skizzity »

Thanks Ed. I realize that the classes are not taught that way now, Dusty.
Attachments
2016-03-14_13.09.20.jpg
2016-03-14_13.09.20.jpg (443.68 KiB) Viewed 1376 times