520 Rip Scale Mod

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

benush26
Platinum Member

520 Rip Scale Mod

Post by benush26 »

I don't often use the flexible scale.
rip_scale_closeup2_l.jpg
rip_scale_closeup2_l.jpg (71.62 KiB) Viewed 12137 times
However the few times I have I usually find the small black plastic piece missing because the adhesive failed :mad:
IMG_0235a.JPG
IMG_0235a.JPG (150.44 KiB) Viewed 12137 times
It is also a bit difficult for these eyes to see that little sliver of black under the fence well without extra light. Notice how well the SS photo is lit!!

So...
I decide to make my own -------
1 sliding T-nut
1 button head bolt
1 hex head cap screw
1 piece of aluminum about 5" by 1/8"

Took the aluminum to the vise and bent it as close to square and 90 degrees as I could by hand.
Drilled a hole about 2 1/2" up from the bend, just big enough for the 1/4 20 button head to go through.
IMG_0236a.JPG
IMG_0236a.JPG (148.18 KiB) Viewed 12137 times
The button head was too long so I found a spacer. The cap screw is used to keep the nut from moving.

I was going to taper the leading edge and paint it bright red, but the silver against the tape is enough of a contrast and the bottom edge is close enough I don't worry about a misread.
IMG_0237a.JPG
IMG_0237a.JPG (164.8 KiB) Viewed 12137 times
I can use it on either side of the fence, though I seldom have the fence on the left side of the blade. Easy to set up and easy to remove.

SS wants +6$ for that plastic piece. Not including the cost of a Sliding T-nut since it has multiple uses, I don't think I have $2 in materials, plus I don't have to worry about finding and reattaching the plastic piece every spring. :)

Be well,
Ben
reible
Platinum Member

Re: 520 Rip Scale Mod

Post by reible »

I don't make much use of the scales but I do like what you have done.

So far my plastic piece is till intact on both of my 520's so now I have the falling off to look forward to, thanks for the heads up.

When I first ordered my 520 they called me to tell ask me if it was OK to have the scales model as they were no longer making the none scale version. I said sure. So when it came in there were the instructions for assembly and when I got to the place where I was to put the black plastic piece on it was already done.... So far it has stayed on.

What irritates me is the scale itself. It keeps coming off when I bump it and it no longer lays as flat as it once did. It is just a hair too wide I think. Yes you need to have a place to "grab" it but other things catch it and off it goes. Well that is another thing all together.

At least when things fall apart I have your idea to fall back on, thanks!

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The small plastic piece (not pointer) Has also been a problem for me. About a year ago I had both fences without the small plastic piece. They had come off and had been stashed away in the parts drawer. I decided to reattach them and I used double side carpet tape. That fix seems to be working well.

However, one of the markers (the small plastic piece) has been damaged. I wanted to add it to my "To Be Ordered" list but I can not find a part number for it. It is not included in the parts explosion for the Pro Fence.

I guess I'll be making one (maybe two) for myself.

As for the steel tape being accidentally removed. That has been a continuous problem since day one. I put up with it because I use it a lot. I agree with Ed Reible that the steel tape is either too wide or the fence and the magnetic tape is too narrow. The steel tape hangs out over the edge about 1/16" (just enough to be snagged). I hater using kludges to "fix" things but I believe the front rail is going to "get kludged".

I'm thinking that a piece of carpet tape applied across the length of the front rail may buffer that over hang so that the steel tape is less susceptible to being snagged.

SHOPSMITH: Maybe a replacement steel tape could be arranged along with some much stronger magnetic tape.

Just an after thought: would attaching a couple rare earth magnets to the tape serve to strengthen the magnetic field? Probably not but embedding three or four rare earth magnets into the rail would.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reubenjames
Gold Member

Post by reubenjames »

I will note, like Ed noted above, that the 520 rip fence I pulled new out of the box last night already had the indicator attached, as well. So hopefully they have resorted to using some more trustworthy adhesive that they are applying at the factory now? Not likely, but one can hope. Obviously I haven't wrestled with the rip scale much, other than to test it out. I understand the reason for the lip so you can grab it, and I didn't feel like it was going to be a problem as I was moving the rip fence around, etc. but time will tell. Even when putting the scale on, once or twice I noticed that it wasn't always squared up against the back of its spot without some fiddling, so if it keeps getting knocked cockeyed like that, then I think I see where your complaints are stemming from and how that might be frustrating.
Skizzity
Gold Member

Post by Skizzity »

Great mod. I haven't had a problem with the plastic piece coming off my fence. Hopefully it won't.
To the others with the ruler snagging problem...I'm not seeing it. My magnetic strip works flawlessly.Image
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Skizzity wrote:Great mod. I haven't had a problem with the plastic piece coming off my fence. Hopefully it won't.
To the others with the ruler snagging problem...I'm not seeing it. My magnetic strip works flawlessly.Image
It doesn't get snagged UNLESS you snag it. Be patient, it will. That said, maybe not. Maybe the magnetic tape has been changed to make it stronger.

I use mine frequently for setting the rip fence. It is important that it be in the right location. Remember - this is a CALIBRATION.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Just to be clear, I've not had the problem when I'm using the scales, but I have had them come off oh say 100 times since I got them. The worst part is that they get just a little bend in them and then it gets even worse. Right now I don't have the scale even mounted. When I get it out again I'll take a picture so you can see what I mean.

I guess I shouldn't be so cheap and just order a new one.

What happens is I will be doing saw a drilling operation and as I bring a new work piece into position I catch the scale and off it goes with that tingling sound it makes falling on the floor. For some reason it is a sound I find unique and remember.

Another time it happens is when I happen to brush against the shopsmith with the arm and there it goes. I'm not even using the machine and knock it off!

It is also possible there have been upgrades to the magnet strip or the scales since I got mine. A slightly thicker scale would be nice and those kinks wouldn't be happening.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

dusty wrote:I wanted to add it to my "To Be Ordered" list but I can not find a part number for it. It is not included in the parts explosion for the Pro Fence.
Hey Dusty,

If you still want to order one, I believe the part number is 522287. That is the number shown on the installation instructions. Cost was $6.74

Be well,
Ben
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Nick suggests keeping the magnetic strip and the rule clean and free of dust to get them to stick well:

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... Scales.htm

Mike
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

benush26 wrote:
dusty wrote:I wanted to add it to my "To Be Ordered" list but I can not find a part number for it. It is not included in the parts explosion for the Pro Fence.
Hey Dusty,

If you still want to order one, I believe the part number is 522287. That is the number shown on the installation instructions. Cost was $6.74

Be well,
Ben
Thanks. It is going on the "To Be Ordered List". I don't need it right now. Since I use the fence almost exclusively to the right of the blade, I just pulled the broken one off and turned it around. I now have a good pointer on the left.

Wow $6.74 for a little piece of plastic.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty