Power Stand Motor Oil Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hdoilcan
Gold Member

Power Stand Motor Oil Question

Post by hdoilcan »

I have a couple of the Shopsmith Power Stands (not power stations) and they each have an Emerson motor (1/2hp). I see there's a small yellow plug that says "oil"...... I don't have a manual for these and if anyone know what type of oil and how much should I add? I purchased these a few years back and I'm just now getting around to putting them to use so they have been sitting a while and I don't know the last time they were oiled. Any help would be appreciated.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Power Stand Motor Oil Question

Post by JPG »

hdoilcan wrote:I have a couple of the Shopsmith Power Stands (not power stations) and they each have an Emerson motor (1/2hp). I see there's a small yellow plug that says "oil"...... I don't have a manual for these and if anyone know what type of oil and how much should I add? I purchased these a few years back and I'm just now getting around to putting them to use so they have been sitting a while and I don't know the last time they were oiled. Any help would be appreciated.
#10 machine oil - same as for sheaves.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

Thanks JPG
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Any petroleum oil that flows into the hole works great. Just don't use olive oil or vegetable oil.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

garys wrote:Any petroleum oil that flows into the hole works great. Just don't use olive oil or vegetable oil.
Or oil of olay! :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Sherlock
Gold Member

Post by Sherlock »

If the motors have been sitting for awhile (like several years) you might want to run them for a few hours unloaded. This to drive moisture out of the insulation. Wished had done that with the 510 bought from the Habitat store. Ran it a couple of times then failed the motor when went to really use it. The electrical guys in industry will Megger a used motor to test the insulation. We would often run a motor for several days and readings would much improve. Something I recalled after the fact per the 510. An Emerson too, by the way. Anyway, a thought.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Placing a motor in a 'warm' oven(or setting in the sunshine on a hot day) will do as well as running and not include the risk(insulation breakdown
) that causes it to fail if not done.

Is varnish hygroscopic?

Fish paper insulation is!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝