Incra Box Joint

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

Incra Box Joint

Post by rjent »

Who has/is familiar with the 556422 Shopsmith Version Incra I-Box Box Cutting Jig.
incra_ibox_on_mark.jpg
incra_ibox_on_mark.jpg (32.37 KiB) Viewed 13000 times
I have successfully made, with help from our experts here, both box joints and finger joints making my own jigs. It is not all that hard, but it does take time and alot of "adjustments" to get them right. I have quite a few box and finger joints to do coming up on a project I am on and I was just wondering if the Incra jig is what it proposes to be and is worth the 169 dollars.

Thanks in advance!
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Incra Box Joint

Post by dusty »

Do a search for Incra box Joint Jig and you will get a couple good reviews.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

I just picked one up fron EBay. Open box from a hardware vendor. I had to order the Shopsmith miter bar to fit my 500. We will have to compare notes.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I do not recall any 'negative' reviews(except for an initial(corrected) problem).

Reible reviewed it when it first came out.

A few others have raved about it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Some of this information has changed but this is my early review:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=12807

My first project:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/gener ... 13257.html

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

I have one and use it on both my router table and MK V 500. Makes it easy. My only advise to any who use it is once your happy with the spacing, do NOT adjust until after final fit of all joints. Last box I made somehow I managed to lift two different sides or something kept the sides from setting all the way down and two cuts were shallow by juuust enough. Once the setting on the incra is adjusted you'll never get that exact one back. Width of the dado or the blade height.
Paul B
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I have it. I use it. I like it.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

moggymatt wrote:I have one and use it on both my router table and MK V 500. Makes it easy. My only advise to any who use it is once your happy with the spacing, do NOT adjust until after final fit of all joints. Last box I made somehow I managed to lift two different sides or something kept the sides from setting all the way down and two cuts were shallow by juuust enough. Once the setting on the incra is adjusted you'll never get that exact one back. Width of the dado or the blade height.
Are you saying that after any change in depth or width is made (say for some subsequent project) that I will not be able to go back and match pieces made with the first setup. No repeat-ability????
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

No detents, = probable lack of recreation.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝