Shopsmith History

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Shopsmith History

Post by chapmanruss »

Does anyone else have an issue with the Shopsmith history found on its (this) website? The first section has a glaring error as to the company responsible for the Mark 5. And yes, I used Mark 5 since that is how the machine was labeled until 1980 when Shopsmith Inc. changed it to Mark V. Nowhere on the history page is it referred to as Mark 5. The following is directly from the history page.

Shopsmith Mark V/Mark 7 Tool History

Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 -- An American Classic Since 1953

Mark V (Model 500) Magna America put this American classic 5-in-1 tool into production in 1953. Since its introduction the Mark V has gone through a series of important upgrades to improve its performance, working convenience and safety.

Magna Engineering Corporation, the company formed by the inventor and his partners to produce the Model 10 made the original Mark 5 not Magna America. Magna American not Magna America didn’t even exist until the 1960’s. I find it somewhat sad that they have this part of their history wrong. :o

The next item is from the time Yuba Power Products, Inc. changed the Shopsmith/Magna tool line colors to Goldish and Copper Hammer Finish Paint which was also the colors used for their line of power garden tools and the Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw. These colors have been described as gold, tan and brown but do appear more of a tan color than gold and very closely resemble Rust-oleum Oatmeal and Copper Hammer Finish paints. Many people refer to these “Goldies” and sometimes “Brownies” as the “Anniversary Model”, including the history of the Mark V on Shopsmith’s website (see below) but at the time of this color change the Mark 5 had only been in production for 6 years. Again, the following is directly from the history page.

Shopsmith Mark V Goldie

1960 to 1963 -- Goldies

Brown / Gold / Tan / Anniversary Model machines produced during this period were painted tan/gold.

So where did the idea that these were an anniversary model come from? I have not seen any Shopsmith literature from that time period suggesting it was an anniversary model, although I could be missing something. Was it the color that made people think it was? Is Shopsmith perpetuating a myth by including it in their history? :confused:
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith History

Post by JPG »

I feel your pain! I do not know why the history is so wrong as you described. In other parts of the site, the existence of Mark 5 is ignored.

I attribute it to either ignorance or trade mark issues.

After all SS Inc. did initially make Mark 5s.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Maybe the 5 vs V is too complicated for most people to understand. I guess we could just compromise and call all of them a Mark five.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Russ,

In the “Buying a Used Shopsmith v2.pdf” I amended in March 2015 with photos and other annotations I mentioned on page 8 that the new profile machine made 1954 to 1950 “is often referred to as a Shopsmith Mark V (500) model which would have three color schemes over the years: ‘Greenies’ 1954-60, ‘Goldies’ and 1960-63 Gray Crinkle 1963-64.”

My purpose in re-writing that document was less historical than to expand a document presumed written by Nick Engler (later verified to have been) to include photos with credits, additional information, even linking the photos to the threads from which they came in the forums.

Indeed Magna Engineering did create the Mark 5 [Mark V (500) as some call it]. I believe that the 500, 505, 510, 520 model numbering in a way was done to pay homage to the Mark 5 but I can’t prove that. I suspect it remained a Mark 5 until the plant ran out of Mark 5 vent plate inventory which could have been substantial. They likely reordered the vent plate which had the serial number stamped, with Mark V when they ran out of Mark 5 vent plates. They were known to be frugal.

In 1958 Magna Engineering merged with Yuba Power Products who would sell soon afterwards.

The Greenies were continued by the new owner(s) for a time before the 1960 Goldie was introduced which bore the Yuba Color Schema, though now owned by Magna American. Yuba had the Radial Arm Saw and even a Table Saw back in the day.

Yuba Power Products, Inc. of Cincinnati, Ohio was a wholly owned subsidiary of YUBA Consolidated Industries, Inc.

Also in 1958 to 1960, Yuba then Magna American made the Mark II for Montgomery Ward which was gray. I have advertising to show that they marketed it under their own name as well at the time as a Mark 2, Magna Power Tool Corporation - May 1958, which one of my Greenies (345791) Vent plate shows as a Mark 5 made by Magna Power Tool Corporation.

By 1960 the Mark VII (7 in 1 tool) was brought to market, also gray. It is noteworthy that the Mark VII model numbering was to differentiate it from the Mark V that the original machine had been conceptually renamed to by then. I have not validated a timeline certain for that actual model name change.

I contend that Yuba / Magna American made “Greenies” with Gilmer Drives for a period of time, since that was what the Magna Engineering Company they took over had, complete with existing parts inventories to produce.

It was this period of transition they introduced the Poly-V belt and Quill to replace the Gilmer drive belt and Quill that was present in the “Greenies” (Mark 5). By 1962 they would sport the 1 1/8 HP motor.

Yuba quickly sought to divest this product line and a group of Yuba/Shopsmith employees bought the rights and assets forming Magna America which existed by 1959 (see below).

Note Magna America Brochure extract that I have included dated 1/62 shows the Shopsmith as a Mark 5, but I believe that the Mark V renaming was in the works due to the Mark VII and Mark II model naming conventions which by now existed.

Yuba spun it off to the employees rather quickly and Magna American Corporation of Cincinnati, Ohio formed in late 1958 or early 1959 as evidenced by the 1959 Copyright designation on the last page of the Magna Sawsmith Spare Parts list extract I included below for your reference. A full copy is in My Google Drive under Magna Sawsmith Folder. You will note there is also a Yuba version of that Parts List there, which makes sense as Yuba was manufacturing it when they merged with Magna Engineering.

The Anniversary Edition moniker given the Goldie introduced by Magna America in 1960 I believe was to mark Magna American’s one year anniversary, but I cannot validate that.

Respectfully,

Everett
Sawsmith Magna American Jan 62.png
Sawsmith Magna American Jan 62.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 20386 times
Magna American Sawsmith Spare Parts List showing 1959 Copyright.png
Magna American Sawsmith Spare Parts List showing 1959 Copyright.png (32.1 KiB) Viewed 20386 times
Mark 2 Popular Mechanics May 1958 small.png
Mark 2 Popular Mechanics May 1958 small.png (703.43 KiB) Viewed 20385 times
Mark 5 sn 345791.png
Mark 5 sn 345791.png (659.67 KiB) Viewed 20358 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Magna Power Tool Corporation Ft Wayne, Indiana / Menlo Park California had an ad in Mar 1956 Popular Science where they were introducing the new Magna Jigsaw.

I am trying to find the date of incorporation for that group still. Magna Engineering had not merged with Yuba Power Products at that time, but they would in 1958.

Everett
Jigsaw Ad Mar 1956.png
Jigsaw Ad Mar 1956.png (675.49 KiB) Viewed 20355 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Everett,

You have done a wonderful job of rewriting the “Buying a Used Shopsmith” document as well as the other documents, manuals and more. It is truly a great asset to all Shopsmith users. Thank you for your efforts in preserving this information. I wish your version of “Buying a Used Shopsmith” could be the first document any new forum viewer would find.

I would like to add to the information you have provided above.
In 1955 Magna Engineering Corporation changed their name to Magna Power Tool Corporation (see the last page of Shopsmith Shavings issue no. 10). This was done as they said to have the corporate name better reflect its product.

By July of 1958 Magna Power Tool Corporation merged with Weber Engineered Products Inc. to form Yuba Power Products Inc. a new division of Yuba Consolidated Industries. I wish I could remember the reference for this one.

The Mark 2 was made at the urging of Montgomery Wards who had been the Shopsmiths biggest distributor. They wanted a less expensive model to sell. It came out in 1958 (July 1958 ad) and was in the same colors as the Mark 5 “Greenie” and was only sold a short time. I to have seen a gray one somewhere and the picture of the one here in the Shopsmith history is gray. Although originally a Montgomery Wards exclusive some other retail outlets for the Mark 5 were apparently allowed to sell the Mark 2.

November 13, 1962 Magna American Corporation is officially formed. As the companies owning the Shopsmith/Magna tool line changed the manuals and other written materials were simply re-printed with the new name but many have copyright dates before they existed. Even though Shopsmith Inc. decided not to make the Mark VII they sold remaining parts for it and sold the Owner’s Manual with the Shopsmith Inc. name on it. Your Magna American parts list with a 1959 copyright date is Yuba’s with the Magna American name on it. Did you know that the 1955 edition of “Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone” had printings with Magna Publications, Yuba and Magna American depending on when they were printed?

The Mark VII was gray in color and that is because it was introduced by Magna American Corporation in 1963 after they had changed the Shopsmith/ Magna tools to gray. Source - Brochure introducing Mark VII copyright MAC 1963.

Everett, please do not be offended by my posting this. I believe it is by sharing information we can build the actual Shopsmith history for all to see. You have been a great asset to all Shopsmith users with your contributions. It is from people like you, Skip Campbell and others who have provided us information that we can document the Shopsmith history. I have found this information in the publications of the time and writings of those who have researched before me. I have a great fondness for the Shopsmith machines and how they evolved.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Interesting Jig Saw ad date. The Jig Saw dates back to 1954. It and the Jointer were the first two SPT's made for the Mark 5. The 1954 Accessory Catalog shows both of them. Shopsmith's old Serial Number list (month by month) has serial Number 50001 as the starting serial number for September 1954. Its the first one they show for the Jig saw. Sorry I was writing my last post when you added the Jig Saw one.
Russ

Mark V 520
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

To say that you have been diligent is an understatement.

That said I gotta speak out.

Mark '5' model designation was changed by Shopsmith Inc. to Mark 'V' 500 at the time the new larger table models Mark V 505/510 were introduced. I do not have a date to substantiate that but vent plates are in existence that bracket that.

The Mark V 520 came later.

I purchased what I believe to be one of he last(later made) goldies in the first half of 1963. It was made by Magna American.

AIUI the divestiture by Yuba Power Products was a direct result of a successful damage suit brought by a customer's wife. That damage was caused by loose way tube set screws. I am amazed that reports of loose setscrews there have been seen lately.

Again, you done good!!!! :) :) :) :) :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I am constantly trying to learn more. Thank you for some new Easter Eggs hidden away. We learn by sharing what we learn.

Thanks for helping me on my journey.

Everett
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,
Since there is no serial number/production date records remaining from the beginning 1962 to the end of 1977, your Goldie is a missing piece of that history. From your serial number being made about the beginning of 1963 we can at least estimate when others before yours were made. Serial Numbers for the Mark 5 produced under the new Shopsmith Inc. began in 1973 with serial number SS1001 so any machines produced from 1973 through 1977 could be guess-timated. But it would be just a best guess because we do not know how production increased or decreased during that time period.

You also said the Mark '5' model designation was changed by Shopsmith Inc. to Mark 'V' 500 at the time the new larger table models Mark V 505/510 were introduced. I do not have a date to substantiate that but vent plates are in existence that bracket that. The Mark V 520 came later.

By October of 1980 the vent plates listed it as a Mark V and January 1980 plates still had Mark 5. I cannot narrow it down any more than that based on serial number/vent plates I have seen to date. It only tells me that the change from Mark 5 to Mark V on the machine took place sometime in 1980. These dates are from the serial number/production dates Shopsmith Inc. provided in the past under the FAQ's when was it made. They no longer show the monthly production chart only yearly. Advertising had called them Mark V before 1980.

Attached is the Serial Numbers by month I did which is similar to the one done by mickyd. I did not average the missing serial numbers for the month not originally listed but used monthly production changes prior and post to the missing information to estimate the starting serial number for each missing month. My information is also missing the first production/serial number information for the Mark 5 up through March 1954. Does anyone know the serial number of the first Mark 5 made? The oldest one I have seen is serial number 261411.
Attachments
Mark V Serial Numbers.pdf
(121.78 KiB) Downloaded 1174 times
Russ

Mark V 520