3 Simple Picture Frames

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

3 Simple Picture Frames

Post by algale »

These are nothing special. Just walnut finished with tung oil. But the miters were done with hot hide glue. Mostly posting this to bury the spam that was on top of this forum.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_a0d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_a0d.jpeg (336.76 KiB) Viewed 18540 times
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

garys
Platinum Member

Re: 3 Simple Picture Frames

Post by garys »

Good project. Picture frames are something you always need more of. Making them out of wood in the wood pile sure beats buying custom frames and paying their price.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

nice ,,hide glue is about a thing of the past any more ,, I have seen it advertised at a few big box stores @net but they never have it in stock around here,,, I bought a package of Luthier's glue off ebay a while back to repair viola and thought it was a little pricey .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Very nice work Al. Hide glue brings back a lot of memories. The family shop I grew up in always had a pot of hide glue on a burner. The smell was part of the memory of that shop.
Paul
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

masonsailor2 wrote:Very nice work Al. Hide glue brings back a lot of memories. The family shop I grew up in always had a pot of hide glue on a burner. The smell was part of the memory of that shop.
Paul
It does have an odor but it is not overpowering or offensive to me. I wanted to begin using hot hide glue because the clock project really demands it, in my opinion.

I have been amazed how easy hot hide glue it is to use. It was great for the picture frame project because it sets up so quickly that I was able to apply the glue to one joint, put the joint in my Stanley picture framing clamp, and within a matter of minutes the joint was sufficiently cured that it was strong enough to be self supporting and take out of the clamp, which allowed me to the next joint. In less than half an hour, these frames were not only glued but totally out of any clamp and getting a first coat of tung oil applied. With regular glue, I'd glue one joint at a time, wait 24 hours and move to the next. Even if I were to use one of those clamps that does all 4 joints at once, it would be 24 hours after glue up before I'd remove it. This really made these frames fast and easy.

I also have to give a big thumbs up to a pure tung oil finish. I'd previously used a finish that claimed to be tung oil (MinWax) but it was full of other things and contained minute amounts of tung oil. A pure tung oil finish is super easy to apply, builds faster and looks nicer. Wouldn't use this on something that needed a high gloss finish, but it was great for these frames. Gives a look similar to BLO but without some of the problems associated with BLO (no yellowing with tung oil).
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Another spam post on top so lets get this back to the top and wait for admin to remove it.

When I was in HS shop we used hot hide glue but that was a lot of years ago and I have never even thought about get a pot for my shop.

What I have done is buy Titebond Genuine Hide Glue in a 8 oz. bottle. Its claim to fame is "Longer Assembly Time" and of course "reversible bond".

I think I've gotten it at Woodcraft and Rockler and it can be purchased online weather permitting.

It is certainly easier to use then the real thing but how well it works well I have no idea if it could compare.

Perhaps one of the experts could comment. I know it good enough for me but that might not mean much.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
newportcycle
Gold Member

Post by newportcycle »

Al,
Those are very nice, did you put a rabbet around the perimeter for the glass and photo?
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

newportcycle wrote:Al,
Those are very nice, did you put a rabbet around the perimeter for the glass and photo?
Yes indeed. If I recall correctly, 1/4 inch wide by 1/2 inch deep. Stock is 3/4 deep x 1 inch wide. That's about as basic as a frame gets.