alternative Bandsaw blade source

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

alternative Bandsaw blade source

Post by rjent »

I broke my 1/8" BS blade last night and the mothership says they are out of stock currently. I am not going to play that/their game. Is there another source for BS blades that are the correct length?

Thanks in advance!
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: alternative Bandsaw blade source

Post by nuhobby »

I have been using Olson blades since I can buy them locally. They do offer the 72" variety (I forget off hand the exact +/- tolerance that the SS bandsaw will accept). It looks like they have many widths available on line.

Chris
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

The band saw blade is 72" +/- 1/2 inch. I have also used the Olson blades but have limited sizes available locally but for other sizes I order Tiber Wolf blades but other places offer different brands in any size you want. Try doing an search for band saw blades to find them.

http://timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Thanks Chris and Brenda. The length was really what I was looking for, I did a search here and got some conflicting numbers so I asked .... :)

Thanks again for your help.
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Been using T-wolf blades for years. Just tell them it's for a shopsmith...if you order by phone.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I agree with Brenda, Timberwolf is the way to go. They are a top quality blades available in any length you want. If you buy direct from Timberwolf they are cheaper than any reseller selling them and last I checked are cheaper than the SS premium blades. Great customer service,fast shipping and they know what a SS band saw is. I have some SS blades and non Timberwolf blades for my 14" Powermatic but they mostly go unused. When I change blades I always grab a Timberwolf.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

jsburger wrote:I agree with Brenda, Timberwolf is the way to go. They are a top quality blades available in any length you want. If you buy direct from Timberwolf they are cheaper than any reseller selling them and last I checked are cheaper than the SS premium blades. Great customer service,fast shipping and they know what a SS band saw is. I have some SS blades and non Timberwolf blades for my 14" Powermatic but they mostly go unused. When I change blades I always grab a Timberwolf.
http://timberwolfblades.com/proddetail.php?prod=1814HP
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote:I agree with Brenda, Timberwolf is the way to go. They are a top quality blades available in any length you want. If you buy direct from Timberwolf they are cheaper than any reseller selling them and last I checked are cheaper than the SS premium blades. Great customer service,fast shipping and they know what a SS band saw is. I have some SS blades and non Timberwolf blades for my 14" Powermatic but they mostly go unused. When I change blades I always grab a Timberwolf.
Well I'll be. I didn't know that Shopsmith sold bandsaw blades in any length other than 72". Learn something new everyday.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
Well I'll be. I didn't know that Shopsmith sold bandsaw blades in any length other than 72". Learn something new everyday.
He did NOT say anything about SS blades fitting his powermatic only that he had SS blades and (he also has) non timberwolf blades for the powermatic.

I hope you had tongue in cheek Dusty! :)

Ain't the english language wonderfully contrary! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:
He did NOT say anything about SS blades fitting his powermatic only that he had SS blades and (he also has) non timberwolf blades for the powermatic.

I hope you had tongue in cheek Dusty! :)

Ain't the english language wonderfully contrary! :D
I'm sorry but that is what he said.

Yes, I knew that his 72" Shopsmith blades would almost certainly not fit on his Powermatic (which I think uses 93" blades) but not everyone knows that.

"I have some SS blades and non Timberwolf blades for my 14" Powermatic".

"I have some SS blades for my 14" Powermatic". "I have some non Timberwolf blades for my 14" Powermatic".

"I have some SS blades and non Timberwolf blades for my 14" Powermatic".

I also read into what he wrote as saying that he prefers Timberwolf blades for use on both his Powermatic bandsaw and for use on his Shopsmith bandsaw and that he hardly ever uses his Shopsmith bandsaw blades. BNow that might not be what he meant but that is how one could read what he said.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.