Today in the shop (SOYO)

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in the shop (SOYO)

Post by reible »

(Yoyo)

I have a granddaughter with a birthday and decided since I had the Lee Valley kit and I had the tools why not make it as a birthday gift.

This was my first one and I made a couple of misjudgements that I would fix in future ones if I ever make more. I think I made it to thick, the added weight is nice but for smaller hands it might feel huge.

I also noticed a center point indent on one side, but only after I had finished it.......... No I wasn't going to try and get rid of it, it's pretty tiny but still.

I think I'd go just a tiny bit deeper for the holes where the brass bits are pressed in. I went the amount they suggested but a few thousands deeper would have been better.

So you already know it is the kit from Lee Valley and if you want they have the instructions to look at online. They didn't give either a diameter or thickness so I was guessing, I don't think it really matters for this one. I went with somewhere near 56mm. I did the design in sketch-up then used the plug-in to generate the file to cut the two half's.

For wood I used some hard maple. Any hardwood would work I guess but hard maple sounded good to me and I had a small piece so that is how that works.

I used my SO to cut the parts, the center hole is pocketed out and then the outside cut. That is about as far as the I went with the SO today. But since it was involved I dubbed the project SOYO a play on YOYO.

I used the shopsmith then to turn the parts, they were pretty round right from the SO and well centered which saved turning time. I tried to make this one pretty simple with just a radius on the outside edges and a relief cut on the corner of the inside.

It has a hard wax finish.

Now a few pictures:
20180727_124225_resized.jpg
20180727_124225_resized.jpg (230.48 KiB) Viewed 11047 times
20180727_124306_resized.jpg
20180727_124306_resized.jpg (220.79 KiB) Viewed 11047 times
20180727_164937_resized.jpg
20180727_164937_resized.jpg (139.46 KiB) Viewed 11047 times
20180727_165445_resized.jpg
20180727_165445_resized.jpg (224.53 KiB) Viewed 11047 times
20180727_170527_resized.jpg
20180727_170527_resized.jpg (172.44 KiB) Viewed 11047 times
Now I need a box to stick it in and I'm ready for the party.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Today in the shop (SOYO)

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Nice job ,,as soon as I get back to working in the garage I will start making tops again , Christmas is coming fast .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Very nice, Ed. I just started on YoYo making. I made my 1st one about a week ago (I did not have a kit). Getting ready to make another soon. In the meantime, I made a jig for the lathe to see if that works better than the pen mandrel method I used for the first one which didn't look too good, but worked okay.

Thanks for posting, Ed.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The SOYO was a big hit with the crowd. I think half the people there didn't believe it was hand made...... I guess I'll have to work on that. The finish was really nice and many marveled at the feel.

Now I get to do one for me. I got two kits so I thought I would do one first then the birthday thing came along so I did the gift one first. I'd like to try an engraving on the next one if I can get some practice first. That will be a while off I've got a stack of project ahead of it.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hobbyman2 wrote:Nice job ,,as soon as I get back to working in the garage I will start making tops again , Christmas is coming fast .
Do you have some examples of the tops you make?

I could see doing a few of those for this next Christmas season if they are simple enough to master and do 11 of them.

Ed
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

sorry I do not . I gave the tops away to the kids years ago , long before the picture craze ,they are fun to make ad you can get as fancy and creative as you want with the tips ,I have seen the tips made with brass copper , granite , bone ,different wood and about any thing you can imagine .
If you enjoy small projects there is a book by John and Joyce C. Nelson called the big book of weekend woodworking that has some fun projects .
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/big-bo ... gKTHvD_BwE
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Very nice Ed. Using the SO was very cool. Those are going to make great gifts.
Paul