Still buying wood at auction

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Still buying wood at auction

Post by robinson46176 »

One of 2 loads of band sawed, air dried white oak I bought yesterday at a tractor show consignment auction. I think I counted 65 boards in this load. It's from 5" to 6" wide and 3/4" to 1" thick and 12' to 13' long. A few pieces over on the right has some wane in the first 2' but most of it is pretty nice stuff. Maybe 1/3rd of it is quarter sawn.
I think the first load had about 80 boards on it. We unloaded it stickered in two stacks in the living room of a rental house we are fixing up in another county. Should make some nice cabinets etc.
This stuff is heavy and the hotter it got today the heavier it got... :rolleyes:
I paid a bit more for this batch, I have just under $1.40 a board in it.

Wood shop - white oak.jpg
Wood shop - white oak.jpg (131.81 KiB) Viewed 7229 times

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Still buying wood at auction

Post by garys »

$1.40 a board foot is cheap for any nice hardwood. I'm always looking for similar deals, but they don't show up here very often.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

garys wrote:$1.40 a board foot is cheap for any nice hardwood. I'm always looking for similar deals, but they don't show up here very often.
I read that as $1.40 per board. At around five or six board-feet per board, that’s more like $0.25 per bf!
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Great find.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Wow !!
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

You people who live in hardwood country really piss me off LOL. :D

Nice find! :cool:
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

rjent wrote:You people who live in hardwood country really piss me off LOL. :D

Nice find! :cool:
I understand not having native hardwood forests near me as well. As a kid growing up Professor Jay across the street in the summer took his nomad and a trailer made from a wrecked nomad and headed to the North East to find hardwood treasures.

He had a drying section, where he worked the wood from last years excursions.

It is where I first learned about Shopsmith, and lots of old school woodworking as he loved teaching his young gopher what he was doing as he made some beautiful Grandfather Clocks.

I don't know where he found his treasured reclaimed black walnut beams he took to a sawmill in Wisconsin if I remember correctly.

It is what he made his mother a replica of a grandfather clock like their next door neighbors had.

He had lots of photos of the carvings in it and made several carvings in lower cost woods before attempting the one for his mom. It was perfection. I had never seen workmanship like that, even from him.

I am envious of folks who have access to vast quantities of hardwoods. I understand Professor Jay's passion even better now that I am grown.

Everett
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I guess I should stop being annoyed at times that we don't generally have access to cheap sources of pine here. :) :) :)
While Indiana has a lot of hardwoods in the south half (including the Hoosier National Forest) Kentucky is where a lot of guys from here in Central Indiana go to buy low cost hardwoods for larger projects. A friend/neighbor bought an old tractor from a guy a little north of here and my son and I hauled it home for him. The fellow he bought it from was almost done building a nice 8 stall horse stable. He showed us some of the hardwood lumber he was using that he had hauled back from Kentucky, near where he used to live. This was recently cut and just beautiful. It was from an old backwoods sawmill and he said that he had bought it for 32 cents a board foot.
See... I get wood envy too. :)
We just took a 4,000 mile trip west and back and I told my son that we drove through a thousand miles of brush that was so scrubby that if you tried to chop it out and broke your axe handle, you wouldn't be able to find a piece good enough to make a new axe handle... :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

WOW,,, those look real good .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)