foreign company owns 6 major toll roads

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

foreign company owns 6 major toll roads

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Wait till you hear how they plan on charging folks in TX
My guess is shipping cost is going to skyrocket very shortly if this trend continues .
Sounds like folks are not too happy .

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/forei ... lls-roads/
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
garys
Platinum Member

Re: foreign company owns 6 major toll roads

Post by garys »

I can see why that makes people unhappy. Living where there is any toll road would make me unhappy. I pay highway taxes so I have roads to drive on and shouldn't have to pay twice to use them.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

garys wrote:I can see why that makes people unhappy. Living where there is any toll road would make me unhappy. I pay highway taxes so I have roads to drive on and shouldn't have to pay twice to use them.
You live where ... Bismarck, ND. If you lived somewhere that enjoys real heavy traffic (especially during the rush hours) you might change your mind. Try moving to a "big city".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

"He" may be from a somewhat rural area, but, He ain't that stupid! :D

Where I reside is far too "big" for my liking.

Now back to the subject of earlier posts - What is it that makes 'the guvmint' 'think' that the private sector is a better place to have public works projects managed? Perhaps 'they' need to hire more competent workers. Those of us not in that bubble know all too well that reality forces us to consider alternatives other that grabbing additional income. Now there are many in the bubble that are diligent hard working folks and I do not mean to dis those. It is the remainder that are less so that I find disconcerting.

end rant
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

My brother in law that lives in Indiana told me a few years back that Indiana sold their turnpike to a French company. I was shocked when he told me this but I see now it is a common practice. I wonder who thinks selling our highway system to foreign ownership is a good idea? Many of our steel mills that still exist are also under foreign ownership. That too sounds like a good idea, NOT!
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

dusty wrote: Try moving to a "big city".
I foolishly tried that 50 years ago and won't make that mistake again. We learn from mistakes.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

garys wrote:
dusty wrote: Try moving to a "big city".
I foolishly tried that 50 years ago and won't make that mistake again. We learn from mistakes.
That was my point. Stay where you are at and you almost certainly will never experience a toll road between Bismarck-Mandan-New Salem-MT border.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Ophbalance
Bronze Member

Post by Ophbalance »

Hah... how about this for logic. Raleigh NC has an "inner" loop that consists for I40 breaking west around the city and I440 breaking east around the city. They built a larger outer loop that brakes off in Durham to the east that goes by I540 that's FREE and will eventually join up somewhere near Garner(ish). Well, I guess the state ran out of money or the right person talked and smoozed the right politician, and the west loop is going to be all toll all the time forever. When they finish it, it'll cost me $20 a day if I want to skip around I40 on this new extension as my route lies to the west. But the eastern route is going to always remain free. Just... insanity.
cooch366
Gold Member

Post by cooch366 »

Not a toll road,

but how about a foreign company owning our electric / gas utilities, here in Massachusetts (National Grid).

Again not good...
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The same sort of arrangement (inner and outer lopes) exists in San Antonio but I don't believe they are tolls.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty