Miter Gauge Issues #2

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Thomschuck
Gold Member

Miter Gauge Issues #2

Post by Thomschuck »

This is my second post in regards to the Miter Gauge. I have been working thru every part.
Issue,
I am pretty much rebuilding my miter gauge. I am still waiting for the incorrect glides from SS.

1. I noticed that the miter gauge bar seems to be bent. Side to side it is straight. The end of the bar skis up. If I hold the Miter Gauge head down tight on the saw deck the end is up almost 1/8”. Is this “bend” proper?
2. I noticed that the last hole on the guide bar is missing what SS IDs as a Washer #283 & #284 Screw. Both missing. Is this why the bar is bent up?

3. There is a slot in the Miter Bar. I believe this to be an expansion slot. It has a set screw type fastner in it. I turned it with my Allen wrench so I believe that part is good.

If someone could help me great! If you can photo it OR describe the exact size and thread I won’t need to buy another $3.95 washer from SS.
Short and sweet. Thank you very much.
Thom Schuck
Portland, Oregon
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Miter Gauge Issues #2

Post by jsburger »

Thomschuck wrote:This is my second post in regards to the Miter Gauge. I have been working thru every part.
Issue,
I am pretty much rebuilding my miter gauge. I am still waiting for the incorrect glides from SS.

1. I noticed that the miter gauge bar seems to be bent. Side to side it is straight. The end of the bar skis up. If I hold the Miter Gauge head down tight on the saw deck the end is up almost 1/8”. Is this “bend” proper?
2. I noticed that the last hole on the guide bar is missing what SS IDs as a Washer #283 & #284 Screw. Both missing. Is this why the bar is bent up?

3. There is a slot in the Miter Bar. I believe this to be an expansion slot. It has a set screw type fastner in it. I turned it with my Allen wrench so I believe that part is good.

If someone could help me great! If you can photo it OR describe the exact size and thread I won’t need to buy another $3.95 washer from SS.
Short and sweet. Thank you very much.
Thom Schuck
Portland, Oregon
No it should not be bent up. The washer on the end is there to keep the miter gauge in the table T track when you slide the body/handle off the back of the table. If that washer was there on your miter gauge bar it would not slide.

You might be able to straighten the miter bar enough to work but it will never be perfect. I would buy a new miter bar from SS. The other alternative is buy a complete miter gauge on eBay. They are on there all the time.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

1 - the bend is not normal, the miter bar should be straight in both directions.

2 - the washer in the last hole is only used if you have the 510 or 520 table system which has a T-slot, the slot in the 500 table system does not have the T at the bottom, so there is nowhere for the washer to go. ;)

3 - re the slot in the center of the bar, the set screw is tapered and tightening it allows the miter bar to be locked in the slot. This is useful, for example, on the old cast iron bandsaw table as it enabled the miter gauge to be used as rip fence.

This video on the miter gauge may be of some interest.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILqeevkKf3A[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi Thom,
Did you put a straight edge against it to see how bent it is? It would be difficult to straighten without the correct tools due to the thickness of the bar. The Miter bar is part number 518104 and is $31.72 new. Do you have the Mark V 500, 510 or 520 Table/Fence System? I know yours is from 1983 but you did not say if it has been upgraded at all. If is is the 500 you do not need the washer and screw. It is for the 510, 520 and Mark 7 that have the "T" slot in the table. The washer is P/N 514376 ($4.96) and the screw is P/N 514377 ($3.95). They would be difficult to find locally. I doubt even Parkrose Hardware would have the washer since it is countersunk for the screw on one side. It may be cheaper to buy a used one for all the parts but no guarantee it would be a straight bar either, although a bent bar is not common. I wish I could tell you I had extra Miter parts to help you out but the only extra item I currently have is a safety grip. The guy on 75th and Foster from craigslist doesn't have one in his list of stuff either.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.